Pokémon Expeditions

🞿 Example Training Sessions: (Not) Alain Basswood

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
As a part-time professor for pokémon training at Viridian City Academy, Alain Basswood has a bit of experience in the field. While it's generally expected that most trainers on Nauwill should have some familiarity in the art, it's understood that not all of them have formal schooling, and he's kindly offered some of his materials on the local intranet documenting his processes for really getting the most out of time spent working with one's pokémon partner. This is part of those documents.

This is a mock Training Thread for Alain Basswood, VCA liason and competitive athlete. All rolls will be done using his stats with pokémon that don't officially belong to him (but do belong to me). If you have questions about the contents of this thread, please make sure to link the post when you ask your question so we know exactly which part you're having trouble with!

Explanations will be left in this color text over each section; please consider everything below that to be the "normal" contents for training.

This is a suggested layout based on my own personal preferences, but you can document things however you'd like, so long as you keep track of your successes per pokémon somehow! Note that normally, I would recommend just having one header post that you update with new successes, but for the purposes of illustration I am going to re-post headers after each day so you can follow along with the updates in thread.

I start by noting down the mons I'm actively looking at training right now, though you can track them all if you want. Remember though: once you turn in a specific task (Rank Up, Stat Retraining, etc) all progress for that task resets to 0 for that mon, even if you had more successes than necessary.

I put Rank Up, Move Relearning, Loyalty, and Happiness down for Scatterbug, because that's what I want to work on for that pokémon. For Totodile, I put down Rank Up, as well as Stat Retraining, and of course Loyalty and Happiness. The code for these tables, if you want to use them, is in the main Training Sessions thread, but you can manipulate them easier by entering bbcode mode in the editor, pasting it, then going back into wysiwyg mode (done by clicking the cog at the top right!) to visually preview the tables. You can add a row by clicking in a cell, clicking the horizontal lines, then clicking insert row above or below, and you can delete one by clicking delete row in the same submenu!

I start each task at 0, then figure out how many I'm going to need so I don't forget and note that down.

• Scatterbug's rank is starting at Starter, so it needs 4 successes to Rank Up into Beginner.
  • Move Relearning always costs 3 successes.
  • Totodile's rank is starting at Beginner, so it needs 8 successes to Rank up into Amateur.
  • Totodile's stat retraining will be turned in before Rank Up, so it'll be a Beginner, meaning it needs 3 successes.
  • Both Totodile and Scatterbug's loyalty and happiness levels are starting at 1, so they'll all need 4 successes to raise to 2.

Training Records: Alain Basswood
Trainee:Scatterbug
GoalCurrentNeeded
Rank Up - Beginner04
Move Relearning03
Loyalty04
Happiness04

Trainee:Totodile
GoalCurrentNeeded
Rank Up - Amateur08
Stat Retraining03
Loyalty04
Happiness04

Last edited:

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
Dice Rolled:
🎲d6 4 3 2 5 3 2 19
Alain decides that he wants to retrain Totodile's stats before anything else, because doing it once he's Rank Up'd into Amateur means he'll have to have even more successes. On his first day of training, that's what he works on.

Stat retraining is (attribute/social + lore), so Alain decides to retrain the Totodile through pure endurance and force of will! That is, he decides to roll his vitality stat (4) alongside the required lore roll (2) for a total of 6 dice.

Since there is only one pokémon coming along, he only has to roll once.

All sessions in this thread will be using fake dates, but remember in reality you can only do one training per trainer per day!

Training 01/01/22 - Stat Retraining

Training: Totodile
Rolling: VIT + Lore

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
Out of the 6 dice, Alain rolled 2 successes - the 4 and the 5. I make note of those two, then would normally make the roleplay post necessary to claim the points officially. However, I am not going to actually write 150+ words for each of these as this is just a tutorial, so here's an example 150 words. I will be doing the same for each spot roleplay would go just to help you visualize what you're looking for!

Phasellus faucibus quam eget libero fermentum hendrerit. Donec placerat aliquet nisl, et molestie erat sollicitudin at. Quisque ut mauris nec ipsum varius dictum. Mauris commodo finibus risus vel cursus. Proin et vestibulum lacus, et convallis augue. Duis sollicitudin dolor vel dolor mollis, efficitur hendrerit ex faucibus. Curabitur vitae facilisis sapien. Praesent tristique, velit nec cursus scelerisque, ipsum turpis convallis nunc, sed laoreet sem magna vel ipsum. Curabitur vel finibus arcu. Fusce scelerisque bibendum elit eu euismod. Donec vel nulla id felis volutpat molestie. Praesent pulvinar, felis non iaculis laoreet, tellus sem sollicitudin mi, a tincidunt nisi mi eget est. Mauris quis posuere enim, non fringilla eros.

Maecenas tristique mi non turpis efficitur dapibus. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Praesent dui libero, vulputate vitae felis at, ullamcorper convallis magna. Vestibulum sed mauris vitae lectus placerat eleifend vel ut nunc. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis.

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
With the solo written, I update my tracking post with my progress.

GoalCurrentNeeded
Rank Up - Beginner04
Move Relearning03
Loyalty04
Happiness04

GoalCurrentNeeded
Rank Up - Amateur08
Stat Retraining2 (2)3
Loyalty04
Happiness04

Last edited:

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
Dice Rolled:
🎲d6 1 2 4 1 4 5 6 23
Since I got at least one success with Totodile today, I decide to roll to raise its happiness during this session. Only one of happiness or loyalty can be worked toward per session, so make sure to note which you're doing!

The roll for bonding is social + allure. I choose cool (4) for Alain, and his allure stat is 3 for a total of 7. Bonding rolls do not need additional RP posts! They just require you to have gained at least one success that day.

Rolling happiness bonding for Totodile using cool!

Last edited:

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
Alain rolled an impressive 4 successes, meaning that Totodile's happiness can be raised! I am lazy, however, and opt to hold onto that until I'm ready to turn in the Stat Retraining, so I just note it in my tracker.

GoalCurrentNeeded
Rank Up - Beginner04
Move Relearning03
Loyalty04
Happiness04

GoalCurrentNeeded
Rank Up - Amateur08
Stat Retraining2 (2)3
Loyalty04
Happiness4 (4)4

Last edited:

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
Dice Rolled:
🎲d6 3 3 5 5 6 3 25
Since Totodile isn't ready to be retrained yet, the next day Alain continues to work on that.

Training 01/02/22 - Stat Retraining

Rolling: VIT + Lore

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
Success! This time, he gained 3 successes, meaning he's over the threshold to turn in the training! First, I write the RP section...

Nam et sapien vehicula, sollicitudin risus ac, dictum massa. In augue nisi, convallis sed purus nec, mattis auctor nibh. Nullam maximus massa vitae augue malesuada hendrerit. Proin pellentesque posuere sodales. Integer accumsan eleifend ullamcorper. Duis sapien nisi, placerat eu fermentum sit amet, mattis ut nibh. Sed tincidunt erat feugiat lorem pharetra, pretium hendrerit purus gravida. Fusce porttitor mi eu arcu maximus iaculis. Vestibulum accumsan turpis at nisl congue sagittis. Vivamus dictum ex in rhoncus laoreet.

Morbi vitae magna quis mauris cursus lobortis consectetur a tortor. Curabitur non nisi sodales, pellentesque ex ac, dignissim leo. Mauris ac sagittis nunc. Sed elementum, diam nec gravida laoreet, urna erat imperdiet justo, id efficitur ligula erat non enim. Nunc dapibus rhoncus ante, eu cursus nisl. Donec id nulla ut nibh fermentum commodo non vitae sem. Aliquam vehicula tincidunt felis non porta. Proin ac hendrerit nunc, ut ultricies arcu. Phasellus varius ex vitae urna dignissim.

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
Dice Rolled:
🎲d6 2 1 4 4 4 6 5 26
Then I take advantage of the successes to roll a loyalty increase since I still haven't turned in that happiness increase. Whoops!

Rolling loyalty bonding for Totodile using cool.

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
What a great day for successes! With a whopping 5 successes in his pocket, Alain can raise Totodile's loyalty as well. However, it's been a long day and I don't want to do anything else, so I just note my successes in my tracker and head off for bed.

GoalCurrentNeeded
Rank Up - Beginner04
Move Relearning03
Loyalty04
Happiness04

GoalCurrentNeeded
Rank Up - Amateur08
Stat Retraining5 (2,3)3
Loyalty5 (5)4
Happiness4 (4)4

Last edited:

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
The next day, before I do another training, I decide to actually go and turn in the increases that Totodile gained. I do this over here before updating my tracker again. I remove Stat Retraining from Totodile, as he doesn't need it anymore. I also update loyalty and happiness to their new needed values - with each being 2, they now need 8 successes to raise again. The overflow successes are lost to the void, and everything starts anew at 0.

GoalCurrentNeeded
Rank Up - Beginner04
Move Relearning03
Loyalty04
Happiness04

GoalCurrentNeeded
Rank Up - Amateur08
Loyalty08
Happiness08

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
Dice Rolled:
🎲d6 4 6 4 5 6 2 3 4 5 39
Now that Totodile's been re-statted, it's time to work on Rank Up! Each training session can take up to three pokémon, so Alain is able to take both Totodile and Scatterbug with him.

First up, I look at the training options in the information thread to decide what training method he'll use. I decide to go with Physical Training, using two of Alain's best stats - STR (4) and Athletic (5) for a total of 9 dice. Wow!

Since I'm taking two pokemon, I have to roll for each of them. I start by rolling for Totodile...

Training 01/03/22 - Ranking Up!

Rolling: Physical Training - STR + Athletic

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
Dice Rolled:
🎲d6 6 1 2 5 3 5 3 3 5 33
Then I roll for Scatterbug. I can't change training methods - all mons have to get the exact same rolls!

Training: Scatterbug
Rolling: Physical Training - STR + Athletic

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
I count up the successes for both; Totodile gained 7 successes, and Scatterbug gained 4. I probably write something cute into the RP post about how Scatterbug is trying its best but just can't keep up with the more experienced Alain and Totodile...

Aenean libero erat, hendrerit sed metus scelerisque, dictum pellentesque augue. Etiam elementum ac sem ut dignissim. Ut id nulla eu mauris accumsan pulvinar. Maecenas venenatis cursus velit, nec lobortis massa facilisis non. Suspendisse tellus urna, varius eu eros vitae, tempor interdum ex. Vivamus volutpat egestas enim, at tincidunt ante molestie et. Curabitur turpis elit, malesuada a rutrum at, pellentesque a eros. Nam vulputate, leo sed bibendum elementum, tellus risus tempor odio, imperdiet iaculis nulla risus ac velit. Duis dictum facilisis ligula sit amet aliquet. Aliquam et orci eu erat venenatis varius. Phasellus porttitor turpis sit amet pellentesque cursus.

Proin sit amet purus id ante bibendum dictum id sed magna. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Quisque at fringilla nunc. Aenean eget suscipit tellus. Fusce dolor nibh, eleifend ut felis vel, feugiat suscipit massa. Vestibulum pretium pretium imperdiet. Aenean molestie lacus vitae lorem tempor, in posuere purus elementum. Suspendisse ut tortor et.

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
Dice Rolled:
🎲d6 5 6 1 4 4 4 5 29
Then I decide that I'm going to go ahead and roll loyalty for them both before I track my changes. Again, these have to be done separately, and can only be done if you got at least one success while training!

Rolling loyalty bonding for Totodile using cool.

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
At the end of it all, I track the changes: 7 for Toto's rank, 4 for Scatter's Rank - giving it enough to Rank Up!, 6 for Toto's loyalty, and 5 for Scatter's loyalty. This means that Toto has made good progress, but Scatter can raise both its rank and its loyalty! Awesome! I continue to be lazy about turning things in though, so I simply record it for your benefit.

GoalCurrentNeeded
Rank Up - Beginner4 (4)4
Move Relearning03
Loyalty5 (5)4
Happiness04

GoalCurrentNeeded
Rank Up - Amateur7 (7)8
Loyalty6 (6)8
Happiness08

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
This ends the training tutorial! All training is done the same way, regardless of type: declare your trainees and what dice you're rolling, then roll them, write 150 words, and if you had any successes, roll loyalty or happiness. Once you have enough successes built up for what you're working on, turn it in... and do it again!

After all, training is about consistency - you can't be the best in a single day, right?