Latest posts

Group events

Kitsusagi Realms

About Battling

Kitsusagi Staff

Grizzled Veteran
D
Mule Account
How do I battle another Kitsusagi or a monster?
In order to battle, your Kitsu must first have Stats. For more information about Stats, see the sticky post about them. Each Kitsu also has a set amount of HP, or Hit Points - this is your Kitsu's health. Using Stats and HP, and some dice rolls, you will be able to battle other Kitsusagi, or even monsters that wander the land, or may attack settlements!

For more detailed information on how to battle, please see the following posts in this thread.

My Kitsu has some sort of weapon/armor/item etc, does that help them at all in battle? How do I use weapons or items if my Kitsu has them?
For more information on this, please refer to the Equipment Guide!

I have a Guardian! Can they help me out in battle?
Absolutely! Guardians can do all sorts of things. For more details, please below~

What happens if my Kitsu loses a battle? Can they be killed?
When your Kitsu is at 0HP, they lose the battle. Players may choose to end the battle before this point if they wish - for example, the attacking Kitsu may just want to scare the other, without doing a great amount of true damage.

Usually losing a battle would simply mean your Kitsusagi passes out, chooses to run away, or some other non-lethal outcome. However we want to keep things as open as possible for character plots etc, so if you and your battle partner discuss things beforehand and you want the outcome to be that your Kitsu actually dies, that is up to you. If there is ever a shop event or metaplot where death is possible, there will be plenty of warning!

If a Kitsu is killed IC'ly, please head to The Afterlife Guide to see what that's all about! Death is not necessarily the end, in the Realms....

Last edited:

Kitsusagi Staff

Grizzled Veteran
D
Mule Account
Rolling Dice
In order to attack, or defend in any way (physically, mentally, or socially), the die to roll is a d10. Whatever your number is in the stat you are using, that is how many d10's you roll. For example...
Your Kitsu is trying to run over and tackle another Kitsu, and their Physical stat is a 3. You would roll 3d10 when you post to do the attack. This is also known as a dice pool.

To get a success in whatever you are doing, you need to roll an 8, 9, or 10 on the dice you roll. Rolling a success means you get 1 success. Depending on how many successes you get, this is how much damage your attack does - or how well you defend yourself. If an attacking Kitsu rolled 3 successes, this means they would (potentially) do 3 damage to the other Kitsu's HP. However, the other Kitsu may choose to defend. However many successes they roll, those defensive successes would negate the attacker's. So, if they rolled 2 successes, that means the attacker only winds up doing 1 damage in the end.

Also, please use the forms below anytime you are battling, so that it is easy for all participants to see how the flow of battle is going. This is basically your character sheet!

For Bonus Fun: In many tabletop games, rolling a 1 on a die is considered a "critical fail", meaning something bad happens to your character because you messed up whatever you were doing so badly. This is not something we will enforce, but if you wish to use it in your RP or battles, please go for it! It can make things very fun and interesting.

Please see the last post in this thread for an example battle, and always feel free to ask questions if you are confused about anything!

Forms to Use in Battle
Top of Post said:
Code:
[size=14][color=red][b]Attacking[/b][/color] | [color=blue][b]Defending[/b][/color] | [color=violet][b]Using Ability or Spell[/b][/color] | [color=darkgrey][b]Other[/b][/color] [/size]
(please delete whatever category you are not using this turn; note that if you are using an ability or spell specifically to attack or defend, that category should be left "on" )
Bottom of Post said:
Code:
[size=9][i]HP:[/i] ?
[i]Phy:[/i] ?
[i]Men:[/i] ?
[i]Soc:[/i] ?
[i]Natural Ability:[/i] (for each ability used, strike out its name as you use it)
[i]Class Ability:[/i] (for each ability used, strike out its name as you use it)
[i]Spells:[/i] (for each spell used, strike out its name as you use it)[/size]

Last edited:

Kitsusagi Staff

Grizzled Veteran
D
Mule Account
Bonuses and Negatives
Keep in mind, there are some ways to add bonuses or negatives to dice rolls. Most of the time, this will be through Natural Abilities, Class Abilities, Spells, or the Advantages/Disadvantages system (optional). Abilities and Spells usually add bonuses to your rolls or negatives to your opponent's - while the Advantages/Disadvantages system adds negatives to something of yours, in exchange for a bonus elsewhere. For more information on these things, please see the stickies about them.

Help From Guardians
If your Kitsu has a Guardian companion, they can help them out in battle in two main ways! Each Guardian has the ability to add one dice to any roll once during a battle. Also, once during a battle, a Guardian can Heal your Kitsu. In order to use a Guardian's Healing ability, the die to roll is a d4, remember, this is not a d10 like most battle dice! This takes up your entire turn, and your Kitsu will heal whatever amount of HP that is rolled on the d4.

Guardians can also attack or defend for you in battle if you want to get creative, but this is mostly for flavor and not really reflected by different dice rolls or anything like that.

Kitsusagi Staff

Grizzled Veteran
D
Mule Account
Example Battle
For this example, we'll pretend I am sparring with Dante vs Nero. So as not to actually take up a lot of posts, I'll just be using quotes and making up the dice rolls, stats, abilities etc. I'll also add small notes to each "post" to further explain what is going on.[/align]

"Thread Title"[PVP 1v1]

Dante and Nero Sparring

Turn One : Dante
(( dice roll: 5d10 because Dante is attacking physically. We'll say he rolled a 2, 4, 3, 8, and 9 -- so that is 2 successes ))

Attacking

Dante ran toward Nero quickly and tried to punch him in the face!

HP: 7
Phy: 5
Men: 2
Soc: 1
Natural Ability: Hardy
Class Ability: Rage
Spells: Devil Trigger

Turn One : Nero
(( dice roll: 4d10 because Nero is defending physically. We'll say he rolled a 9, 1, 4, and 3. This means he gets 1 success, and so negates one of Dante's 2 successes. Meaning he only takes 1 damage! But he did roll a 1, so if wanted, we could edit the post to have him trip and fall or something of that nature after he dodges. Remember to edit your post in any case to reflect his new HP! ))

Defending

Nero tried to dodge the attack by quickly leaping to the side!

HP: 7-1 = 6
Phy: 4
Soc: 2
(( Just making their abilities and spells the same for quick and easy example ))

Turn Two: Dante
(( dice roll: 1d10 because Dante is trying to intimidate Nero into backing off. We'll say he rolled an 8, so that would be a success. We use the "other" category because this is not truly an attack or defense that would effect Nero's HP. ))

Other

Dante puffed himself up and sneered at Nero. "You are really bad at this, why don't you just stop right now and go home?!"

Turn Two: Nero
(( dice roll: 2d10 because Nero is using his Mental score to defend against Dante's Social attack. We'll say he rolled a 10 and a 4. So that is one success, plus 1 because he got a 10. So with 2 successes that completely cancels out Dante's one success and he is not impressed at all. The "other" or "defending" category could be used for this, it doesn't really matter which. ))

Defending

Nero laughed at Dante's pathetic attempt to scare him away. "No you!" he yelled back.

HP: 6

Turn Three: Dante
(( dice roll: 6d10 because Dante is trying to attack Nero again; as well as using his Rage ability, which gives him one extra Phy die. We'll say he rolled a 7, 8, 2, 3, 9, and 10 - So that would make 4 total successes, with the +1 from rolling a 10. The Rage ability also means he cannot defend or heal for the next two turns after this one. ))

Attacking | Using Ability

Dante snarled and went after Nero again, trying to slam him to the ground and using his Rage ability to make the attack more ferocious.

Turn Three: Nero
(( dice roll: 5d10 because Nero is choosing to just take the damage to his HP so he can attack Dante back. We'll say he rolled an 8, 4, 3, 9, and 9. So that is three successes. ))

Attacking

Nero fell hard to the ground and rolled a few times, but bounced back up, though he was limping a bit as he tried to charge at Dante and bite him.

HP: 6-4 = 2

And so and and so on, until one gets to 0 HP, meaning that Kitsu would then lose the battle.