Latest posts

Group events

Kitsusagi Realms

Everything You Need To Know About Battling

Kitsusagi Staff

Grizzled Veteran
D
Mule Account
Many things in the battle system (such as class descriptions, abilities and spells) have been copied and slightly modified from the online Pathfinder system reference document. This is a free and open website, but giving credit where its due is important!

Kitsusagi Staff

Grizzled Veteran
D
Mule Account
Table of Contents
- About Battling​
- Combat Rolling And Forms​
- Bonuses, Negatives, and Help From Guardians​
- Example of Battle​
- What Are Natural Abilities, Classes, and Spells?​
- List of Abilities Available​
- Reserved Post For More Abilities if Needed​
- List of Classes Available​
- Reserved Post For More Classes if Needed​
- Druid Companion Beasts and Alchemists Potions​
- A Lesson in Spell Usage​
- What Are Advantages/Disadvantages?​
- Available Advantages/Disadvantages​

Last edited by a moderator:

Kitsusagi Staff

Grizzled Veteran
D
Mule Account
How do I battle another Kitsusagi or a monster?
In order to battle, your Kitsu must first have Stats. For more information about Stats, see the sticky post about them. Each Kitsu also has a set amount of HP, or Hit Points - this is your Kitsu's health. Using Stats and HP, and some dice rolls, you will be able to battle other Kitsusagi, or even monsters that wander the land, or may attack settlements!

For more detailed information on how to battle, please see the following posts in this thread.

My Kitsu has some sort of weapon/armor/item etc, does that help them at all in battle? How do I use weapons or items if my Kitsu has them?
For more information on this, please refer to the Equipment Guide!

I have a Guardian! Can they help me out in battle?
Absolutely! Guardians can do all sorts of things. For more details, please below~

What happens if my Kitsu loses a battle? Can they be killed?
When your Kitsu is at 0HP, they lose the battle. Players may choose to end the battle before this point if they wish - for example, the attacking Kitsu may just want to scare the other, without doing a great amount of true damage.

Usually losing a battle would simply mean your Kitsusagi passes out, chooses to run away, or some other non-lethal outcome. However we want to keep things as open as possible for character plots etc, so if you and your battle partner discuss things beforehand and you want the outcome to be that your Kitsu actually dies, that is up to you. If there is ever a shop event or metaplot where death is possible, there will be plenty of warning!

If a Kitsu is killed IC'ly, please head to The Afterlife Guide to see what that's all about! Death is not necessarily the end, in the Realms....

Kitsusagi Staff

Grizzled Veteran
D
Mule Account
Rolling Dice
In order to attack, or defend in any way (physically, mentally, or socially), the die to roll is a d10. Whatever your number is in the stat you are using, that is how many d10's you roll. For example...
Your Kitsu is trying to run over and tackle another Kitsu, and their Physical stat is a 3. You would roll 3d10 when you post to do the attack. This is also known as a dice pool.

To get a success in whatever you are doing, you need to roll an 8, 9, or 10 on the dice you roll. Rolling a success means you get 1 success. Depending on how many successes you get, this is how much damage your attack does - or how well you defend yourself. If an attacking Kitsu rolled 3 successes, this means they would (potentially) do 3 damage to the other Kitsu's HP. However, the other Kitsu may choose to defend. However many successes they roll, those defensive successes would negate the attacker's. So, if they rolled 2 successes, that means the attacker only winds up doing 1 damage in the end.

Also, please use the forms below anytime you are battling, so that it is easy for all participants to see how the flow of battle is going. This is basically your character sheet!

For Bonus Fun: In many tabletop games, rolling a 1 on a die is considered a "critical fail", meaning something bad happens to your character because you messed up whatever you were doing so badly. This is not something we will enforce, but if you wish to use it in your RP or battles, please go for it! It can make things very fun and interesting.

Please see the last post in this thread for an example battle, and always feel free to ask questions if you are confused about anything!

Forms to Use in Battle
Top of Post said:
Code:
[size=14][color=red][b]Attacking[/b][/color] | [color=blue][b]Defending[/b][/color] | [color=violet][b]Using Ability or Spell[/b][/color] | [color=darkgrey][b]Other[/b][/color] [/size]
(please delete whatever category you are not using this turn; note that if you are using an ability or spell specifically to attack or defend, that category should be left "on" )
Bottom of Post said:
Code:
[size=9][i]HP:[/i] ?
[i]Phy:[/i] ?
[i]Men:[/i] ?
[i]Soc:[/i] ?
[i]Natural Ability:[/i] (for each ability used, strike out its name as you use it)
[i]Class Ability:[/i] (for each ability used, strike out its name as you use it)
[i]Spells:[/i] (for each spell used, strike out its name as you use it)[/size]

Kitsusagi Staff

Grizzled Veteran
D
Mule Account
Bonuses and Negatives
Keep in mind, there are some ways to add bonuses or negatives to dice rolls. Most of the time, this will be through Natural Abilities, Class Abilities, Spells, or the Advantages/Disadvantages system (optional). Abilities and Spells usually add bonuses to your rolls or negatives to your opponent's - while the Advantages/Disadvantages system adds negatives to something of yours, in exchange for a bonus elsewhere. For more information on these things, please see the stickies about them.

Help From Guardians
If your Kitsu has a Guardian companion, they can help them out in battle in two main ways! Each Guardian has the ability to add one dice to any roll once during a battle. Also, once during a battle, a Guardian can Heal your Kitsu. In order to use a Guardian's Healing ability, the die to roll is a d4, remember, this is not a d10 like most battle dice! This takes up your entire turn, and your Kitsu will heal whatever amount of HP that is rolled on the d4.

Guardians can also attack or defend for you in battle if you want to get creative, but this is mostly for flavor and not really reflected by different dice rolls or anything like that.

Kitsusagi Staff

Grizzled Veteran
D
Mule Account
Example Battle
For this example, we'll pretend I am sparring with Dante vs Nero. So as not to actually take up a lot of posts, I'll just be using quotes and making up the dice rolls, stats, abilities etc. I'll also add small notes to each "post" to further explain what is going on.[/align]

"Thread Title"[PVP 1v1]

Dante and Nero Sparring

Turn One : Dante
(( dice roll: 5d10 because Dante is attacking physically. We'll say he rolled a 2, 4, 3, 8, and 9 -- so that is 2 successes ))

Attacking

Dante ran toward Nero quickly and tried to punch him in the face!

HP: 7
Phy: 5
Men: 2
Soc: 1
Natural Ability: Hardy
Class Ability: Rage
Spells: Devil Trigger

Turn One : Nero
(( dice roll: 4d10 because Nero is defending physically. We'll say he rolled a 9, 1, 4, and 3. This means he gets 1 success, and so negates one of Dante's 2 successes. Meaning he only takes 1 damage! But he did roll a 1, so if wanted, we could edit the post to have him trip and fall or something of that nature after he dodges. Remember to edit your post in any case to reflect his new HP! ))

Defending

Nero tried to dodge the attack by quickly leaping to the side!

HP: 7-1 = 6
Phy: 4
Soc: 2
(( Just making their abilities and spells the same for quick and easy example ))

Turn Two: Dante
(( dice roll: 1d10 because Dante is trying to intimidate Nero into backing off. We'll say he rolled an 8, so that would be a success. We use the "other" category because this is not truly an attack or defense that would effect Nero's HP. ))

Other

Dante puffed himself up and sneered at Nero. "You are really bad at this, why don't you just stop right now and go home?!"

Turn Two: Nero
(( dice roll: 2d10 because Nero is using his Mental score to defend against Dante's Social attack. We'll say he rolled a 10 and a 4. So that is one success, plus 1 because he got a 10. So with 2 successes that completely cancels out Dante's one success and he is not impressed at all. The "other" or "defending" category could be used for this, it doesn't really matter which. ))

Defending

Nero laughed at Dante's pathetic attempt to scare him away. "No you!" he yelled back.

HP: 6

Turn Three: Dante
(( dice roll: 6d10 because Dante is trying to attack Nero again; as well as using his Rage ability, which gives him one extra Phy die. We'll say he rolled a 7, 8, 2, 3, 9, and 10 - So that would make 4 total successes, with the +1 from rolling a 10. The Rage ability also means he cannot defend or heal for the next two turns after this one. ))

Attacking | Using Ability

Dante snarled and went after Nero again, trying to slam him to the ground and using his Rage ability to make the attack more ferocious.

Turn Three: Nero
(( dice roll: 5d10 because Nero is choosing to just take the damage to his HP so he can attack Dante back. We'll say he rolled an 8, 4, 3, 9, and 9. So that is three successes. ))

Attacking

Nero fell hard to the ground and rolled a few times, but bounced back up, though he was limping a bit as he tried to charge at Dante and bite him.

HP: 6-4 = 2

And so and and so on, until one gets to 0 HP, meaning that Kitsu would then lose the battle.

Kitsusagi Staff

Grizzled Veteran
D
Mule Account
What is a Natural Ability?
This is a type of ability that each and every Kitsusagi automatically has when they are born. Some of these abilities are physical, some are mental or social and some are basically magical abilities; usually less powerful than magic spells. If the ability is physical, it is usually not something that a Kitsu would obviously have due to their physical traits. For example, if a Kitsu has wings, it can obviously fly - and would not need to choose a Natural Ability to be able to do so. Most Natural Abilities are tied to the species of the Kitsu. To start with, each Kitsu may choose one Natural Ability. Anytime the Kitsu's stats are raised, they may choose one more. To see what abilities you can choose from, please see the posts below.

The exception to this is Enlightened - Enlightened may choose two Natural Abilities to start with, and still choose more as they increase their stats.

What are Classes and Class Abilities?
Though most Kitsusagi are content to settle in towns or cities and simply live their lives without much excitement, there are those who crave... more. Those who crave a life of adventure, or who train up a certain set of skills to benefit themselves or others around them. For these Kitsusagi, we have the Class system. It is not required to choose a Class in order to battle or RP, and keep in mind that many Kitsusagi are basically normal 'people' - a bit like NPC's in a video game, though each and every Kitsu can be whatever you want them to be!

If your Kitsu is something like a shop owner or employee, a general resident, farmer, etc, they probably do not need a Class. However, if your Kitsu's main job/pasttime is hunting (for food, or to protect their town), adventuring, a traveling musician or storyteller, town guard, healer, etc - they would likely have a Class! Having a Class gives a Kitsu one Class Ability associated with whatever the Class is, to help them out. Some of these Abilities are useful in battle, and some may not be. Each Kitsu with a Class will only ever get to choose one Class Ability and these Abilities do not change or 'level up' once chosen. For a list of available Classes and Class Abilities, see below.

I have an idea for a Natural Ability, a Class or a Class Ability that's not listed... can I use my idea?
Maybe! Please run any ideas by Manda and Seimei to determine if it works. If so, we will add it to the list, and then you may use it.

What is a Magic Spell?
Magic Spells are something that a dedicated Kitsu may learn through time and study. To begin with, each Kitsusagi may only learn one Spell. Any time stats are able to be increased, the Kitsu may choose to try and learn a new Spell. Spells can be swapped out if wanted - but the Kitsu will still need to study to learn something new, even if they forget an old Spell and have a slot open. To learn more about this process, please see the Learning Spells sticky.

How do I use an Ability or Spell?
Simply put in your post that you are using it, by describing it in character! Then if the ability or spell has an effect on the dice, you would apply it if/when you roll. Remember, for normal RP, it's up to you as the player whether you want to roll dice and use stats. Staff will not enforce using stats/dice/etc for normal RP.

Kitsusagi Staff

Grizzled Veteran
D
Mule Account
General Natural Abilities
(may be chosen by any species)

• Educated - this ability adds +1 to the Kitsu's Mental Stat
  • Social Butterfly - this ability adds +1 to the Kitsu's Social Stat
  • Buff - this ability adds +1 to the Kitsu's Physical Stat
  • Hardy - this ability adds +1 to the Kitsu's HP

Normals Natural Abilities
  • Levitate - this ability allows a Normal Kitsu to levitate through the air without the aid of wings. It is a bit slower and clumsier than winged flight, however. Can be used multiple times in battle with a successful mental roll. Duration 1 hour
  • Adopted - Normals are sometimes adopted by other species, or simply live alongside them where they normally wouldn't. This ability means the Kitsu can understand and adapt to other cultures easier than most. No effect on battle
  • Dimdweller - Normals who live underground or in areas where the sun cannot easily reach can see and move around easier in the dark and gain one extra die on any actions taken in the darkness like a Nightmare would. However, they are not penalized when in bright light. Continuous effect
  • Lightdweller - Normals that are born among Angelics seem to pick up on something of their Being of Light trait, and these Kitsu get one extra die on any actions taken in bright light. However, they are not penalized when in the dark. Continuous effect

Angelics Natural Abilities
  • Glowing Wings - this ability allows an Angelic to light up their wings and/or halo to provide light in an otherwise dark area. This is not enough light to give the Kitsu a bonus die, but it does mean they do not lose a die due to being in darkness. Can be used multiple times in battle with a successful mental roll. Duration 1 hour
  • Divine Favor - Angelics are one of the species that is closer to the gods than most. As such, any Angelic that chooses abilities or spells having to do with prayer gains one extra die when using these abilities or spells. Continuous effect
  • Dark Affinity - this trait means that an Angelic is more comfortable in the dark than most, meaning they do not lose a die on actions taken in darkness. Continuous effect
  • Exalted Resistance - this ability gives the Angelic the ability to ignore one attack from their opponent per battle, due to divine intervention or faith in their own purposes. Can be used once in battle

Nightmares Natural Abilities
  • Light Immunity - this ability means that a Nighmare's growths are less sensitive to light than most - whether through training or being born that way. Kitsu with this ability do not lose a die when taking actions in bright light. Continuous effect
  • Child of the Wilds - this ability means a Nightmare can more easily use abilities having to do with nature; they get one extra die to roll when using these abilities. Continuous effect
  • Poison Use - this ability means the Nightmare is skilled at alchemy and the use of poisons and potions. They gain a +1 bonus when using poisons or potions. Continuous effect
  • Take Life - this ability allows a Nightmare to steal the life force, or HP, of another Kitsu. Once per battle, they can try to bite the other Kitsu and if they succeed, they gain 2 HP and the opponent loses 2 HP.Can be used once in battle.

Tundra Natural Abilities
  • Chill Born - this ability means a Tundra can more easily use abilities having to do with cold and ice they get one extra die to roll when using these abilities. Continuous effect
  • Winter Walker - this ability allows a tundra kitsu to travel faster through winter lands and over icy structures without risk of falling or slipping. Continuous effect
  • Frozen Gaze - this ability allows a tundra to freeze an enemy in place once per battler as their icy glare makes the enemy feel as though a blizzard has clutched their heart. Can be used once in battle, there is no physical cold effect it is a look so dark it makes the enemy freeze.
  • Shivering Gale - this ability allows a tundra to cool a place to freezing temperatures letting them cross some stretches of water as it has a light layer of ice over it. This skill takes one full move in battle as Other (neither Attack or defend) and makes enemy next attack -1 dice roll. Duration out of battle lasts 4 hours

Fauna Natural Abilities
  • Thumpinbump - With such good ears Fauna can hear sounds that a number of other Kitsu miss. As such a few have made a language they can use by hitting logs or rocks or other medium and the sound waves travel in the ground and a ‘receiver’ can pick it up miles away. (Roll dice for transmitting the message via ground. Remember you have to roll for each message you send and ANY KITSU with this skill can hear the vibrations and pick up on the message sent through the earth. ) Continuous effect as long as rolls are taken. This skill takes one full move in battle as Other (neither Attack or defend)
  • Green thumb - having been farmers for years Fauna have a natural knack for plants. Plants grown by a kitsu with this skill will thrive better even under unusual conditions. This also helps when transferring plants like herbs. Continuous effect
  • Earth Worker - Any kitsu with this skill will be better equipped to work with earth and rock based magics. Continuous effect
  • Super jump - use a dice roll to doge an attack as well as rp wise use the dice to jump far up to areas that might not be attainable by regular jump alone. Continuous effect Rp. May be used 1 time in battle. This skill takes one full move in battle as Other -dodge (neither Attack or defend)

Kirin Natural Abilities
  • Delicate step- with this ability Kirin use their grace and elegance and get an additional dice rolls for evasion or other activities that may involve finesse. Continuous effect
  • Glimmering armor- this ability allows Kirin to endure an attack from an opponent in a battle with no damage. May be used 1 time in battle. This skill takes one full move in battle as defend (neither Attack or Other)
  • Water Keepers - this ability means a Kirin can more easily use abilities having to do with water and rain they get one extra die to roll when using these abilities. Continuous effect
  • Poisonings Cleanse- the ability to purify waters and foods to help prevent plague pestilence additional rolls against poising. Continuous effect Rp. May be used 1 time in battle. This skill takes one full move in battle as Other (neither Attack or Defend)
Tenku Natural Abilities
  • Sagely wisdom: all allies in 50ft get +1 to stated stat. (physical, Mental, social) until end of battle. May only be used once in battle. If used of battle effect will last for one day.
  • Lucky Streak: once per battle may dodge an attack or force a reroll of last roll and take more favorable outcome.
  • Cloud Hopper: ability to allow Tenku to take one other kitsu with them traveling on a small cloud ignoring all land effects. May use outside of battle only and may carry another Kitsu for 4 hours.
  • Cloud weapon: allows the temporary create of a weapon or piece of armor out of clouds giving a +1 to stated stat (physical, Mental, social) until end of battle. May only be used once in battle. If used of battle effect will last for 2 hours. Weapon or armor may be loaned to another kitsu.

Trick Natural Abilities
  • Silver tongue: once during combat this ability can be used to give a target -1 to stated stat roll (physical, mental, social) effect will last until the end of battle. If used outside of battle effect will last for 3 hours. The trick shifts their form slightly to appear more favorable to the enemy target and is thus more distracting.
  • Trap set: being a master of traps a trick may set a trap that does 1d4 rolled damage if stepped on. May be used once during battle, three times a day. This skill may be spotted by trying to find traps by rolling mental skill with success =to mental stat of the trap setting Trick. To determine enemy steps on trap in battle roll 1d6 to set trap number and enemy to roll 1d10 each time their turns comes around and if they land on trap number trap goes off. It may be negated with other skills.
  • Charm: once per battle trick may roll social skill to charm an enemy into being unable to attack or defend on their next turn. Out of battle this skill allows a +1 to all social rolls against that charmed target for a day. May only be used on one target per day. The charmed target is beguiled as the trick appears to be changed into someone they desire or will listen too.
  • Sabotage: once per battle roll mental against and opponent to disable one armor or weapon for duration of battle. If used out of battle the weapon or item must be taken to be fixed or gathered back up if disarmed.
Imperial Natural Abilities
  • Sensitive whiskers: With such sensitives whiskers Imperials are able to feel a change in air currents as enemies shift allowing them to dodge an attack once per battle.
  • Hoarder: + 1 success roll on a stated subject mater as Imperials horde items and become experts on them. knowledge base must be selected when this skill. subject may vary greatly such as cooking, dancing, weaving, smiting, herbs, etc.. all rolls related to that matter will have +1 success. Continuous effect
  • Lightning Speed: once per battle this lithe and quick Kitsu may lash out for one extra turn be it attacking or spell casting.
  • Lightning weaver: any kitsu with this skill will be better equipped to work with lightning based magics. Continuous effect

Kitsusagi Staff

Grizzled Veteran
D
Mule Account
These are the Classes currently available for your Kitsu to choose from. More may be added over time! Each Class has a short description and then a list of Class Abilities to choose from. Remember, you may only pick one Ability and that's all you ever get, so choose wisely!

For now, multi-classing is not an option, sorry!

Fighter
A Fighter is a Kitsu who focuses mostly on physical fighting and strength. Some take up arms for glory, wealth, or revenge. Others do battle to prove themselves, to protect others, or because they know nothing else. Still others learn the ways of weaponcraft to hone their bodies in battle and prove their mettle. These Kitsusagi are often town guards, soldiers, roving guardians or those who seek out battle just for the sake of fighting.

• Strength Prevails - this ability gives the Fighter an extra point in their Physical stat at the start, and each time they raise their stats. Continuous effect
  • Rage - this ability gives a Fighter one extra die on an Attack roll once per battle - but the Kitsu may not defend, or use any type of healing ability for two turns afterward. This skill takes one full move in battle as Attack and should go off with attack roll
  • Quick on Your Feet - this ability means a Fighter is unusually fast and agile - they get an extra die when rolling their Physical stat to dodge attacks or doing something such as running (in a normal RP, if using dice). May use when Dodging and may use multiple times in battle.

Cleric
In faith and the miracles of the divine, many Kitsu find a greater purpose. Called to serve powers beyond most mortal understanding, all priests preach wonders and provide for the spiritual needs of others. Clerics are more than mere priests, though; these emissaries of the divine work the will of the divine through strength of arms and magic given to them by the gods. Many Clerics that follow the more good-aligned gods also tend to be healers.

• Healing Prayer - this ability lets a Cleric roll 1d6 one time per battle, and call on the gods to heal themselves or another Kitsu for the amount rolled on the die. This skill takes one full move in battle as Other- healing
  • Virtue - this ability means the Cleric can touch another Kitsu and give them one extra point of HP that will last for one battle. This skill takes one full move in battle as other. May be used multiple times in battle but only once per target in battle.
  • Smite Evil - this ability gives the Cleric one extra die on an attack against an opponent that is of a dark or evil nature (note that all Nightmares may not be evil, this would be reflected in their actions!) This skill takes one full move in battle as Attack and should go off with attack roll

Bard
Untold wonders and secrets exist for those Kitsu skillful enough to discover them. Through cleverness, talent, and magic, these cunning few unravel the wiles of the world, becoming adept in the arts of persuasion, manipulation, and inspiration. Typically masters of one or many forms of artistry, bards possess an uncanny ability to know more than they should and use what they learn to keep themselves and their allies one step ahead of danger.

• Inspiration - this ability allows a Bard to choose an ally and give them one extra die to use on whatever they choose in their next turn. They cannot use this ability on themselves but can use this ability multiple times in battle. This skill takes one full move in battle as Other
  • Bardic Knowledge - this ability gives a Bard one extra die on their Mental stat to roll when they are trying to remember a story, decipher some ancient text, study ruins, etc etc. Continuous effect.
  • Distraction - this ability allows a Bard to do something very distracting during a battle that will cause their opponent to lose one die on their next turn. can be used multiple times in battle. This skill takes one full move in battle as Other

Rogue
Life is an endless adventure for those Kitsu who live by their wits. Always just one step ahead of danger, rogues bank on their cunning, skill, and charm to bend fate to their favor. Never knowing what to expect, they prepare for everything, becoming masters of a wide variety of skills, training themselves to be adept manipulators, agile acrobats, shadowy stalkers, or masters of any of dozens of other professions or talents.
  • Sneak Attack - this ability gives a Rogue one extra die to roll if they are attacking from out of hiding. Please keep it logical, if the other Kitsu has seen you in their turn right before yours, you cannot use a Sneak Attack. This skill takes one full move in battle as Attack and should go off with attack roll can go off multiple times in battle if it makes sense.
  • Trap Finding - this ability gives a Rogue one extra die on a Mental roll to search for traps in an area. continuous effect
  • Evasion - this ability allows the Rogue to completely evade one attack per battle.

Mage
Beyond the veil of the mundane hide the secrets of absolute power. The works of beings beyond mortals, the legends of realms where gods and spirits tread, the lore of creations both wondrous and terrible—such mysteries call to those Kitsu with the ambition and the intellect to rise above the common folk to grasp true might. Whether they posses inborn magical abilities that have been honed to perfection, or have spent their lives studying and practicing different spells, mages are usually respected all over the Realms for the powers they wield.

• Familiar Guardian - this ability allows a Mage to make a Guardian that is attached to them into a Familiar. Having a Familiar means that the Kitsu can choose one extra Spell for the Familiar to 'hold' for them. However, if their Familiar is specifically targeted in battle and is too badly hurt (an attack strikes them), they will not be able to use the Spell the Familiar is 'holding'. If attacking, the Familiar adds an extra die to the Mage's attack every other turn.
  • Elemental Magic - this ability gives the Mage a +1 bonus to any Spell of a certain element that must be chosen when this ability is chosen, and cannot be changed. Available elements are Water, Frost, Fire, Lightning, Earth and Wind. Continuous effect
  • Scribe Scroll - this ability allows a Mage to write down any Spell they know on a Scroll. The Scroll can then be used by any Kitsu, whether they have any magical ability of their own or not. Not usable in battle

Druid
Within the purity of the elements and the order of the wilds lingers a power beyond the marvels of civilization. Allies to beasts and manipulators of nature, these often misunderstood protectors of the wild strive to shield nature from all who would threaten it and prove the might of the wilds to those who lock themselves behind city walls. Rewarded for their devotion with incredible powers, druids gain knowledge of the wilds, the companionship of mighty beasts, and the power to call upon nature’s wrath.

• Beast Companion - this ability allows a Druid to attempt to make a companion out of a wild beast they have fought and defeated in a solo battle. The companion beast can act along with the Druid in battles, either attacking or using their own special abilities. If attacking, the companion adds an extra die to the Druid's attack. Companion beast can only act every other turn - they must rest in between. There are only certain beasts that can be companions. Please see the post below for these beasts and the ways they can help their Druid friends.
  • Favored Enemy - this ability allows a Druid to choose a certain type of beast (ex: canine, feline, etc) and they will get an extra die to roll when fighting that type of beast. The type must be chosen when this ability is chosen and cannot be changed. Contentious effect
  • Nature Sense - this ability allows a Druid to be very comfortable in the wild. They can move around any sort of terrain without difficulty and can usually avoid common dangers in the area (ex: avoiding passing beneath trees where they know a venomous type of snake tends to hunt). Continuous effect

Alchemist
Whether secreted away in a smoky basement laboratory or gleefully experimenting in a well-respected school of magic, the alchemist is often regarded as being just as unstable, unpredictable, and dangerous as the concoctions they brew. While some creators of alchemical items content themselves with sedentary lives as merchants, providing potions and salves, the true alchemist answers a deeper calling. Rather than cast magic like a mage, the alchemist captures his own magic potential within liquids and extracts he creates, infusing his chemicals with virulent power to grant him impressive skill with poisons, explosives, and all manner of other magical effects.

• Brew Potion - this ability allows an Alchemist to create potions using ingredients found in nature. In order to successfully make a potion, they must roll at least 3 successes using whatever Stat they wish (usually Mental, sometimes Physical). This can be done as a turn in battle, or as part of any other RP. Potions available to create will be listed in the post below.
  • Poison Resistance - this ability means that the Alchemist does not take as much damage from poisons as others. If they are subjected to poison in a battle or RP, they can negate one success from the opponent's die, or one point of damage from the poison. continuous effect
  • First Aid - this ability is due to the Alchemist studying their own body, or those of others. They can use it to heal 1d4 points of damage to themselves or another Kitsu once per battle.

Ghostwalkers (Ghosts only)
Who says skills end after death? Welcome to the ghostwalkers they have passed on from this life but have not reincarnated. To this end they have some unique skills.

• Possession: This ability allows a stronger kitsu to possess a willing living creature or possess an inanimate object or dead creature and their magic helps keep the decayed magic from corpse from rotting. They can then move around in their host body and interact with teh living world. A willing possession can cast out the ghost at any time. Possession varies form stregth of ghost. may last hours to weeks
  • Lingering chill: This ablity causes the area the ghost resides in to always feel cold and 'off' to others. continuous effect. Kitsu trying to interact with this area take a negative 1 dice to their pool for all rolls.
  • Lingering Memory: this ability allows a ghost to replay a scene of their lives once per day and living kitsu see it as an illusion. The scene only shows the kitsu's movement not anything around them or anything they touch.

Poltergeist (Ghosts only)
The more malevent of the ghosts. These souls tend to be cruel and cunning toward the living.
  • Unwilling Possession: This ability allows a stronger kitsu to possess an unwilling living creature or possess an inanimate object or dead creature and their magic helps keep the decayed magic from corpse from rotting. They can then move around in their host body and interact with teh living world. Possession varies form stregth of ghost. may last hours to weeks. Unwilling hosts can shake put the ghost with an opposed mental roll. Ghost may only use 3 times a day and may not target a kitsu who has kicked them out for a day
  • Venomous spirit: twice per day ghost may reach out and leave a lingering wound that does 1d4 damage for three turns in battle or 1d4 damage each hour for 3 hours.
  • Soul Shattering shriek: ghost may screech and unsettle all kitsu within 50ft and all kitsu must make vs mental roll or be unable to use spells for rest of day or battle. Ghost may only use once per day

Gaurdian Soul (Ghosts only)
Protective and revered even beyond the grave these souls guard the living.
  • Gaurdian spirit: A ghost may select a single kistsu per day to grant their protection to and that kitsu may reroll three rolls per day and take the better of each roll.
  • Touch of grace: ghost may leave a barrier once per day on a kitsu or object that prevents other ghosts from touching or possessing it/them.
  • Guiding hand: three times per day ghost may interact and lift up to 10lb object up to 10ft.

Shaman
Those who linger on the end of life and death often enough have seen things that make little sense and with the return of the gods they seem to become more well know.
  • Veil of sight: The ability to see ghosts. Sadly they can not be heard so you might have to find a way to communicate issues or conversations
  • Holy Soul: The ability to travel in areas that have a lingering negative feeling to them and not take any negatives. (negates effect of lingering chill) continuous effect.
  • Veil Step: this ability allows the kitsu to step temporarily though the veil of life. They will feel a chill and may see ghosts if they are around them at that time. Within a breath they are returned to the land of the living. May use to doge one time per day any attack.
Devote of the Gods
The return of the gods to the land have woken up a new revival in those devoted to them. The good and bad have come forward in their worship and hope offering up their prayers to the gods in hopes of being chosen for blessings and guidance. please note this is a general class any blessings from the gods will be on the individual gods pages. Any spells they wish to grant to their follower will be given at spell level 2 or above restricted to follower of X god so they may not be solely tied to this class. (example god of healing my be open to devotee's and clerics who follow them)

• Call back to the gods: This ability will vary based on chance and the breed of the user. If Selected you will roll a dice in a thread -Link thread- and will be messaged by staff if you have rolled a special breed ability and what it does. You do not have to take this ability . If you fail or choose not to accept this ability you may select one breed ability that applies to your kitsu or a different Devote ability
  • Armor of faith: This ability allows user to block one attack during battle regardless of ability used with attack. Does not take an action during battle it is just stated that attack is ignored using this ability.
  • Prayer to Prayer: Ability to once per day exchange 15 words with a kitsu of the same faith within a day's travel. Both must share blessing from the same god for prayer to be heard. Kitsu A can use 15 words and Kitsu B may use 15 words. Words must be used at once any unused words do not stack.
Trick Fool
A class that is well loved by the god of trickery. Things down always work out the way you want them to in this class, it has also been called the chance class or the random class. Still these misfits have found their way in the world and are something to behold.

• Magical counterfeit: Rather then casting spells with elements small random items can be summoned and used in place. Example pans, pies, hats, shoes. The item will disappear on it’s own after a hour has passed. (battle wise it works like any casted elemental assault and only affect the Rp bit of battle and events) This skill takes one full move in battle as Attack and should go off with attack roll can be used multiple times in battle
  • Lucky Shot: The luck of the fool is always high letting the fool force an opponent to reroll last roll and take the number that is most favorable. May only be used once in battle and must be used on the roll after the one you wish to reroll stating you are using the ability.
  • Clueless chance: Attempting to cast a spell once per battle will result in a very random effect. User to roll one D100 and number effect correlates to a list produced by staff (link here) and that effect happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kitsusagi Staff

Grizzled Veteran
D
Mule Account
Druid Companion Beasts
  • Sweet song - The sweet song and lure + Lure in
  • Calope - The resourceful rabbit + Flight Foot or Hidden rush must be picked when pet is tamed.
  • Snyk - Tiny Viper with a shocking mouth + Paralyzing Bite
  • Relyc - The Gentle flower + Night light
  • Mebew - Choncky bird or plants and weather + find extra herb or plant on quests or Elemental resistance +1 must be specified when Mebew is obtained both skill and type of resistance if that is selected .
  • Lichlea - two headed small lizard+ Poison eater or venom attacks
  • Trail Trek - Rolly Polly bug eater+Excellent Defense or Bug Finder must be specified when creature is obtained.
  • Eliseen - Graceful Eel+ Swift Swim or water shot must be specified when creature is obtained.
  • Neveam - Deep reaching bat+Echolocation
  • Plopper - The sporty frog +Blinding shot or climb assist must be specified when creature is obtained.

Alchemist Potions

Basic potions How to make found in
The Great Big Book of Potions: Basics [All]
  • Bandage in a Bottle - Regain 1 health immediately. Its possible to regain one more health after rest and 250 words from the effected Kitsu.
  • Timbell Potion - No further effect outside of RP at this time.
  • Detox - for Neutralizing Poison
  • A Wife's Remedy - for Sobriety
  • Gala's Beauty - Gives an automatic success (+1) to social rolls for 24 hours.
  • Eagle's eye - Add one extra die to any perception or spot based checks for 6 hours.
  • Hunter's Friend - +1 success when calculating damage.
Advanced potions How to make found in Coming soon so level up your alchemists

Kitsusagi Staff

Grizzled Veteran
D
Mule Account
Hello there. My name is Bartholomew and I can see you are interested in how magic works. Lets take a moment to explain it so I have time to answer some questions you might have.

First all Kitsusagi are magical. As such it’s important to know that everyone no matter what breed or class can learn some kind of magic. Some classes and breeds can learn special kinds of magic. Every single Kitsusagi that has the availability to learn magic though some find it far harder then others so they have given up on it.

Being level one and so young you only have one 'slot' open to learn magic. Just imagine it as a card if that helps. Any spell you can met the requirements for can go in that slot.

Of course once you learn a spell that 'slot' is taken up.

You can learn a new slot by forgetting the spell that was in that spot to free up the 'slot' for the new spell

Those of course are the basics so long as you meet the requirements you can learn spells. Still as you know you can't stay young forever to that end every time you gain a level you gain a 'slot' and certain classes tend to use magic more then most so they get very good at handling it giving them extra 'slots' over time.

Normal Kitsusagi have one 'slot' per level so total 'slots' would be one at level 1, two at level 2 and three at level 3
Clerics, Bards, Druids and of course mages get an extra spell slot at even levels + their normal slot gain
so total 'slots' would be one at level 1, three at level 2 and four at level 3 and so on. I believe the highest level a Kitsusagi can be right now is five due to the magic that has to be built in their body when leveling up. (Lore staff has to make more spells and things for stuff to fill out before letting you all level more. please be patient with us)

I know I know. You already know all this from those guides in the battle section right? Well that's alright because now I'm going to get into the really exciting stuff. I know all of you want to know how to use the magic you learned right? Well it just so happens you can use your magic in AND out of battle. Sadly you can use magic less in battle then out of it. I think it has something to do with the adrenaline rush from fighting that limits you.

Each 'slot' can be used a limited number of times a day in and out of battle.

At Kitsusagi level one each slot can be used
Lvl 1 spell: 1 per battle, up to 3 times per day.

So I could use this one spell three times per day but only time per each battle i am in. I would be exhausted for the day at level one. Of course as we gain levels we not only gain 'slots' but strength in magic as well!

At Kitsusagi level two each slot can be used
Lvl 1 spell: 2 per battle, up to 4 times per day.

So that one spell 'Slot' can be cast twice in battle, and four times outside of it. Remember this applies to each 'slot' and you have more slots at level two and depending on your class you might have three 'slots' total to cast from.

Now I'm sure you noticed that two of my spells there are the same. That's ok. you can have up to three 'slots' filled with the same kind of spell. And yes you only have to learn it once in study to fill all three slots.

One good way to be able to cast more spells is to have purchased a scribed scroll from those who have scribed down spells so that any Kitsusagi can use them but that takes a lot more time and effort so most don't worry over it to much preferring to use their natural prowess to deal with things.

Now of course there are only so many lvl 1 spells out there to learn so as we gain even more experience we are able to use lvl 2 spells and in time even greater spells. They have more power and only take up a single slot just like lvl 1 spells. Also just like level one spells they can only be used a certain number of times per day.

At Kitsusagi level Three
Lvl 1 spell: 3 per battle, up to 5 times per day.
Lvl 2 spell: 1 per battle, up to 3 times per day.

At Kitsusagi level Four
Lvl 1 spell: 4 per battle, up to 6 times per day.
Lvl 2 spell: 2 per battle, up to 4 times per day.

At Kitsusagi level Five
Lvl 1 spell: 4 per battle, up to 6 times per day.
Lvl 2 spell: 2 per battle, up to 4 times per day.
Lvl 3 spell: 1 per battle, up to 3 times per day.​

That is all all a bit complex I know but take a few times to study it and it might help you understand magic a bit more and if you are still stuck I would recommend asking Reoakee in the Kitsusagi discord chat for a better explanation. After all that is was staff are there for is to help you out.

Kitsusagi Staff

Grizzled Veteran
D
Mule Account
What is the Advantage/Disadvantage system?
This is a system where your Kitsu can choose to take an Advantage, which gives them a bonus in one area, in exchange for also taking a Disadvantage, a negative in another area. It is not required to use this system at all, completely up to you as the player to decide if you want to. To start with, each Kitsu may only choose one Advantage, and then must choose one Disadvantage. They may choose one more of each whenever they gain more stats. For a listing of current Advantages and Disadvantages to choose from, please see the post below. Note that these are mostly not tied to species, though some still may have certain requirements.

Note
Please try and 'match up' your Advantages and Disadvantages so they are interesting and make sense! Lets attempt to keep things balanced. If you have questions about how to do this, contact Manda or Seimei. We do reserve the right to ask you to choose different Advantages/Disadvantages if we noticed your character doesn't seem very balanced.

I have an idea for a Advantage or Disadvantage not listed... can I use my idea?
Maybe! Please run any ideas by Manda and Seimei to determine if it works. If so, we will add it to the list, and then you may use it.

Kitsusagi Staff

Grizzled Veteran
D
Mule Account
Available Advantages
  • Physical Prowess - This Advantage allows a Kitsu to add 1 extra point to their Physical Stat.
  • Mental Prowess - This Advantage allows a Kitsu to add 1 extra point to their Mental Stat.
  • Social Prowess - This Advantage allows a Kitsu to add 1 extra point to their Social Stat.
  • Tough - This Advantage allows a Kitsu to add 1 extra point to their HP.
  • Physical Resistance - This Advantage allows a Kitsu to add 1 extra die when rolling to physically defend against an attack.
  • Mental Resistance - This Advantage allows a Kitsu to add 1 extra die when rolling to mentally defend against an attack.
  • Social Resistance - This Advantage allows a Kitsu to add 1 extra die when rolling to socially defend against an attack.
  • Animal Affinity - Most normal animals (non-magical) will react to the Kitsu in a positive, or at least neutral way. The Kitsu might also be a bit better at understanding the body language of animals and 'communicating' with them. An animal trained and ordered to attack will do so anyway despite this advantage, but will probably do so after giving warning and a chance to run away to the Kitsu. In the case that the Kitsu is forced into combat with an animal, they will always be the last one to be attacked if they are in a group.
  • Good Luck - Allows a Kitsu to make one re-roll per battle, and take the better of the two rolls. When editing a post to reflect RP, it must be stated that you are using this (similar to using an Ability). Then immediately do your re-roll in another post. Other players should wait for the re-roll before continuing with the turn order.
  • Heirloom Item - Allows a Kitsu to choose one weapon, type of armor, or item during character creation to automatically possess and use (magical items may not be chosen, however).
  • Magically Inclined - When learning new spells that require a certain number of rolls, a Kitsu with this Advantage requires one less roll than usual.
  • Fearless - This Kitsu is not afraid of anything and in fact, battle is exciting to them! They may add one extra die to their first attack in every battle.
  • Presence - This Kitsu is naturally charismatic and well-liked by others, even those they have never met before. Add one die to any Social roll.
  • Fast Healing - This Kitsu for some reason heals faster than others. Anytime they would get HP through an Ability, Spell, etc they gain 1 more point of HP than normal. Ex: A Cleric rolls a 3 to heal your Kitsu - your Kitsu actually heals 4 points of HP.
  • Knowledgeable - Your Kitsu may add one extra die on Mental rolls when trying to figure something out (such as an artifact, or remembering a weakness of an enemy). This is a bit free-form, so have it make sense if you're trying to use it in a battle! Might be a good idea to discuss with RP partners what your Kitsu is able to discover ahead of time.
  • Survival Instincts - Your Kitsu is used to being out in the wild and has good instincts for danger. This allows a Kitsu to dodge one surprise attack they wouldn't normally be able to dodge. For example, if they are being attacked from behind, or the enemy is hiding behind something, completely unseen. Have it make sense, and please don't abuse this.
  • Giantism - For whatever reason, be it a mutation in the gene pool, or a whim of the gods, this Kitsu seems to be quite a bit… larger than almost any others. Kitsu with this Advantage may be anywhere from 7.5ft to 12ft tall at the shoulder. They may add 1 extra point to their Physical stat as well, due to their larger size. This Advantage may only be chosen by Gen 1 Kitsu - OR by later Gens who have a Kitsu in their family line that has chosen this Advantage.
  • Dwarfism - For whatever reason, be it a mutation in the gene pool, or a whim of the gods, this Kitsu seems to be quite a bit… smaller than almost any others. Kitsu with this Advantage may be anywhere from 2ft to 4ft tall at the shoulder. They may use their small size and speed to their advantage once in each battle to completely dodge one attack. This Advantage may only be chosen by Gen 1 Kitsu - OR by later Gens who have a Kitsu in their family line that has chosen this Advantage.
  • Heat Tolerance - This Kitsu is used to surviving in hot environments and thus has a slight advantage when adventuring or fighting in such places. Certain breeds may be more predisposed to this Advantage, such as Nightmares. They may add one die to one action per battle or adventure stage (Ex: gathering ingredients, add 1 die to a search roll 1 time) while in a hot environment. Please have this make sense - a temperate forest area is not a hot environment, in general, unless it’s mentioned by a GM that the day is extremely hot etc. A desert would obviously be a hot environment, however.
  • Cold Tolerance - This Kitsu is used to surviving in cold environments and thus has a slight advantage when adventuring or fighting in such places. Certain breeds may be more predisposed to this Advantage, such as Tundras. They may add one die to one action per battle or adventure stage (Ex: gathering ingredients, add 1 die to a search roll 1 time) while in a cold environment. Please have this make sense - a temperate forest area is not a cold environment, in general, unless it’s mentioned by a GM that the day is extremely cold etc. A high mountain or glacier would obviously be a cold environment, however.

Available Disadvantages
  • Physical Weakness - This Disadvantage takes 1 point away from a Kitsu's Physical Stat.
  • Mental Weakness - This Disadvantage takes 1 point away from a Kitsu'sr Mental Stat.
  • Social Weakness - This Disadvantage takes 1 point away from a Kitsu's Social Stat.
  • Frail - This Disadvantage takes 1 point away from a Kitsu's HP.
  • Physical Vulnerability - This Disadvantages takes away 1 die when rolling to physically defend against an attack.
  • Mental Vulnerability - This Disadvantages takes away 1 die when rolling to mentally defend against an attack.
  • Social Vulnerability - This Disadvantages takes away 1 die when rolling to socially defend against an attack.
  • Feeble - When this Kitsu's HP drops to 1, it is as if their HP was at 0. They might not necessarily faint, but will usually not be able to continue battling.
  • Unlucky - At some point in every battle, this Disadvantage must be activated, and it makes the Kitsu completely fail an attack, defense, etc. The player can choose when to use it, but please have it make sense.
  • Cowardice - Anytime this Kitsu has to battle, they must roll their Mental stat, and get at least as many successes equal to half their Stat (rounded down). If they fail the roll, they are too afraid to battle. The Kitsu may still be RP'd as being there, but can't attack directly. They may do things such as assist or heal, however. RP this so it makes sense! A Kitsu with this Disadvantage who is trying to heal others in a battle might still get too scared to stay and run away if an enemy targets them. Cannot be taken if Mental stat is a 1. Ex: A Kitsu's Mental stat is 3, they must roll at least 1 success to battle.
  • Insufferable - The Kitsu has some sort of intrinsic ability to be disliked by others. It does not matter how much effort they put in, they always cause a negative reaction in others that they are unfamiliar with, and even their simple presence can provoke a slight irritation in some individuals. In combat situations, take one die away from any Social rolls.
  • Slow Healing - The Kitsu is slow to heal - one point of HP that would be healed by an Ability or Magic, etc is taken away. Ex: If a Cleric tries to heal this Kitsu and rolls a 4, the Kitsu would actually only heal 3 points of HP.
  • Allergies - This Kitsu suffers from some form of common allergy (ex: grass, animal dandruff, dust, etc) and anytime they are close to the thing they're allergic to, they lose 1 die on any Physical rolls due to swollen eyes, coughing, sneezing etc. You as the player are free to choose what specifically they are allergic to (can be multiple things) but remember, it should be something they would commonly encounter! Don't make it something they're unlikely to ever come in contact with. If it's noticed that you are not using it at all, we will ask you to choose a different Disadvantage.
  • Phobia - This Kitsu is afraid of a specific thing that is fairly commonly encountered (ex: heights, the dark, bugs, dirty things, certain types of animals, water, etc). If they are close to whatever their Phobia is, they suffer the same drawbacks as Cowardice (see above). It is up to you as the player to choose a Phobia or Phobias for your Kitsu, but have it make sense and not be something super obscure that they would never come in contact with. If it's noticed that you are not using it at all, we will ask you to choose a different Disadvantage.
  • Blind - Your Kitsu is blind, and cannot see at all, or has very limited sight. The Kitsu takes away one die for any sort of attack, defense, etc in battle that would normally require sight. Examples of this would be seeing an attack coming to dodge it, aiming, etc. There are obviously ways to work around this, but it should still affect the Kitsu at times. If it's noticed that you are not using it at all, we will ask you to choose a different Disadvantage.
  • Deaf - Your Kitsu is deaf, and cannot hear at all, or has very limited hearing. The Kitsu takes away one die for any sort of attack, defense, etc in battle that would normally require hearing. Examples of this would be hearing an attack coming from unexpected directions, hearing warnings from others, etc. There are obviously ways to work around this, but it should still affect the Kitsu at times. If it's noticed that you are not using it at all, we will ask you to choose a different Disadvantage.
  • Mute - Your Kitsu is mute, and cannot speak. The Kitsu takes away one die from most Social rolls, due to other Kitsu not being able to understand whatever way they choose to communicate other than speaking. There are obviously ways to work around this, but it should still affect the Kitsu at times. If it's noticed that you are not using it at all, we will ask you to choose a different Disadvantage.
  • Addiction - Your Kitsu is addicted to something, and unless they can do the thing, or get the thing, they take away one die from any and all actions in battle due to craving whatever it is. This could be a form of OCD as well. Some examples could be a stimulating drink (like coffee), a certain herb, needing to tap their foot a particular number of times before doing things, etc etc. It's up to you as the player to figure out the specifics of this, but have it make sense and please do have situations where it affects your Kitsu. If it's noticed that you are not using it at all, we will ask you to choose a different Disadvantage.
  • Non-Magical - Your Kitsu is really ... really ... bad at magic. When learning any Spell that requires a certain number of successes, this Kitsu requires one more success than normal.
  • Heat intolerance - This Kitsu is not used to being in hot environments and thus is at a disadvantage when adventuring or fighting in such places. Certain breeds may be more predisposed to this Disadvantage, such as Tundras. They will subtract 1 die from any Physical rolls made while in a hot environment.
  • Cold Intolerance - This Kitsu is not used to being in cold environments and thus is at a disadvantage when adventuring or fighting in such places. Certain breeds may be more predisposed to this Disadvantage, such as Angelics. They will subtract 1 die from any Physical rolls made while in a hot environment.