Threads:

Latest posts

Group events

Warriors: Cats of the Sun

[FINISHED] Enjoying the Scenery [Wind Chaser x Six]

NatiStorm

Grizzled Veteran
D

The sun was high and danced off the water of the pond before Wind Chaser. After a deep breath scenting the air for danger, the lean marbled tom sauntered out of the trees and up to the water. He lapped at it for a moment before his ears caught a sound. Turning around slowly he looked to the trees behind him.

"Well-met, friend. Care to join me for a drink?" His voice rough but kind. There didn't seem to be any scent marking around the pond claiming it for a clan so he assumed it was fair game for all loners in the area. Where there was water, there was usually others. What luck to come across a new friend on such a lovely day.

@belloblossom

Last edited:

belloblossom

Stew Aficionado
D

Six spent her time alone; she had been without lengthy companionship since her adolescent years. That didn't mean that she was a lonely cat by any means, she was just used to the quiet and never sought out the company of others. She'd exchange news with passerby if they were friendly, but never prey or shelter. It was safer that way and she'd found that usually others tended to keep to themselves, at least, that's how it had been when she was growing up.

In recent moons, things were different. Cats were chattier, more pleasant. She knew more than a couple cats who she'd spoken with about the Clans who had barged into the neighborhood and when she never saw those loners again, she suspected they'd been recruited into the Clans they spoke of, or killed. That was always an option when you lived in the wilderness alone.

The pond was frequented by predators and cats alike, so there was always the risk of going there instead of one of the offshoots of the main river. The river that the group called StoneClan had seemed to claim entirely for itself. She rolled her eyes and scoffed. As if you could own a river. The notion of keeping a territory any bigger than a single nest was an odd one. Clan cats sounded so stupid, and so selfish, to try and claim entire forests and rivers and mountains to themselves. Loner colonies weren't much better and she stayed far away from those, too. Family groups or imaginative zealots - the loner colonies in the area wouldn't want Six, who preferred her freedom to travel and she didn't care for any scars to mess up her pretty visage.

With the likelihood of predators showing up at the pond increasing during the evening hours, Six opted to go in the daytime. She lingered for a while on the tree line as she observed another tomcat drinking from the pond. She was willing to wait until he'd finished drinking, but instead he spotted her and invited her to join him. Ah, yet another chatty feline.

Strolling out from under the shade of the trees into the broad daylight, she closed the distance between herself and the tomcat.
"Hello." She mewed, stopping two tail lengths away from the tomcat. She lowered her head to the water and kept her eyes on him for a moment, before closing them and focusing on taking long, quick gulps. She wanted to quench her thirst quickly if this loner had mal intent he was hiding behind his smile.

When at last she raised her muzzle from the water, she mewed. "Pleasant weather; I should hope it'll persist for another moon or so before the cold begins to come down from the mountains." She sniffed, trying to pick up some territorial scent from him, or the stink of a Clan cat. She could smell none; if anything, he seemed to smell like the wind that traveled through the wilds. That, at least, was a familiar scent to her; she imagined her own pelt carried it. "My name is Six. Who might you be... friend?" She wasn't ever quick to call someone a friend, for admittedly friends weren't something you got if you were constantly on the move. Still, he'd been polite enough to extend the invitation and it was just a word after all. If this went like any of her other interactions with loners, she likely would never see this tomcat again. @NatiStorm

NatiStorm

Grizzled Veteran
D
Wind Chaser dipped his head ever so slightly at the she-cat's returned greeting and returned to looking out over the water as she drank her fill. He kept his pose relaxed Though he tried to focus on the sparkling water rippling from the lapping, Wind Chaser couldn't help but steal a few glances at the she-cat and her reflection. Much like the pond, she didn't smell clan related. Breathing in her scent Wind Chaser noticed she smelled of trees that didn't grow around here. A fellow traveler perhaps?

"Indeed, it's rather nice today." He took a deep breath and closed his eyes taking in his surroundings with his other senses. The air was tinged sweet with wildflowers and the forest was alive with bird calls and squirrel chitters. "I should hope so as well for I'm not ready to travel home just yet."

At her inquiry Wind Chaser opened his eyes and turned to face the she-cat a few tail lengths from him. "It is a pleasure to meet you Six." He said with a genuine smile. Such a nice short name unlike his own. Two word names were such a mouthful. Still, it was nice to have a warrior name... or close to one. "My full name is Wind Chaser but you may call me by either name and I'll respond. I'm traveling through these parts learning the land. Would you happen to live around here?" The she-cat seemed sociable enough that Wind Chaser was becoming hopeful that he'd actually found a decent conversation - something that was rare to have while traveling solo.

@belloblossom

Last edited:

belloblossom

Stew Aficionado
D
Six waited, patiently, for the tomcat to open his eyes and introduce himself. He seemed to be very at ease with his surroundings and she was tempted to allow herself that same grace. Surely the likelihood of another cat coming upon them and trying to speak with them was low. Still, she couldn't help the urge to look around as though expecting another cat to prowl out of the trees. Hypothetical enemy or "friend" three felt like a crowd to the solitary Six.

"Wind Chaser," She repeated; it was an effort not to wrinkle her name. "Sounds like a Clan name. Though I've heard most Clan cats tend to keep to their own 'territories', pssh." She wasn't able to prevent her audible scoff from her mew this time. "Pardon me, Wind. The notion of territory claiming or ownership is not one I'm fond of." Moving along to his question, perhaps to seek a more comfortable topic instead of letting her irritation grow, she continued.

"Do I live around here... mm, I suppose I do, in a manner of speaking. I'm familiar with the territory, but I nest somewhere new every couple of nights. I'd say the closest thing I have to a home are those Twoleg Ruins, but even then, it tends to get pretty crowded with loners looking for an easy roof over their heads, so I don't like to spend too much time there if I can avoid it." She shrugged her broad shoulders and then turned her golden gaze to Wind.

"Where is home for you, Wind?" She asked him. @NatiStorm

NatiStorm

Grizzled Veteran
D
A hardy chuckle escaped him as he watched Six taste his name. With the way many loners felt about clan cats, this reaction had happened before and it always made him laugh. Calming himself, he listened with growing interest as Six talked about her home or lack thereof. She seemed fairly offended by clans but what he had in mind was different.... Maybe she could be convinced, or maybe not. Regardless, a two leg ruin that attracts loners was worth checking out for potential members.

"Like you I sleep somewhere new often but I'm from the Homeland." He said as if it were obvious. Realizing he needed to explain he continued on. "My mother was a clan cat, my father a wandering loner. The result of such mix is my siblings and I being wandering clan cats. Well, we're not real clan cats, not yet anyways." Pausing, he couldn't help but laugh again at Six's expression. "Our Homeland isn't so much of a territory as it is a base camp. We meet up there once a year to wait out the worst of leaf bare. The rest of the year we travel around letting the breeze guide us, hence the Wind Chaser name."

@belloblossom

Last edited:

belloblossom

Stew Aficionado
D
Six's ears tucked back when Wind Chaser began to laugh - was he laughing at her? He seemed pleasant enough, but she did not appreciate being made fun of, especially when she wasn't aware of the context of what she'd done.

"I seem to have missed a key part of our conversation, for you to be laughing. What's so funny?" She asked, raising a paw to her muzzle and licking it, before moving it over her ears, easing them back into their usual relaxed position, alert and attentive. She had the unfortunate trait that whenever she made her ears move back they would often stay that way until she forced them back into place. Ah, the trials of having larger ears. Sometimes it was a boon in her favor, with her resting irate face, few others would come near. Still, her ears did tend to get sore after a time. Better to fix them now, when she was trying to be civil.

"Which Clan did your mother come from?" She asked. "And more to the point, why didn't you stay there?" Her ears righted, she moved to wash her face with her paw and occasionally lick down the fur on her shoulders. If she was staying to have a conversation, she may as well take the time to spruce herself up. "Admittedly, I stay away from Clan cats if I can help it. They're too territorial for my taste. I would've thought any Clan cat would insist their kits stay with them and join their ranks, loner father or not." She glanced up, a glint in her eye. "Or maybe your past holds a more interesting story, of leaving a Clan behind and being hunted by your Clanmates still." She chuckled, shaking her head. "I'm only teasing. I fancy a good story and stories tend to be better with drama and suspense. I do not mean to imagine your life or any negatives within it. Besides, you seem interesting enough, as an imposter Clan cat. You'd make for a fun story to tell as you are."

Six lowered her paw and looked at him, appraisingly.
"The handsome tabby tomcat named Wind Chaser who follows the breeze and laughs at passerby." She mused with a half smile. "Yes, I would call that a decent making for a story, to be sure."

"Are all of your siblings called Wind Chaser, too? You made it sound like it was a family name, rather than your own. If you've the time or will, I'm interested in knowing more of you. I would offer my own tale in exchange, though I suspect it's not nearly as interesting as you've made yours out to be." She offered. @NatiStorm

NatiStorm

Grizzled Veteran
D
Wind Chaser's eyes sparkled with delight as Six spoke. Such a wonderful imagination! He chocked back his laugh and resisted the urge to chuckle at the she-cat's accusations.

"Please, do not misunderstand me, I mean no disrespect." He said with a more serious expression than shown so far. "I laugh because I find the reaction to my name and lifestyle amusing. This is not the first time this has happened to me so I guess your title for me is rather accurate. Thrilled to know you think I'm handsome." Though he had just met her, he couldn't resist throwing Six a smile and a wink. With a large stretch, Wind Chaser settled into a tucked seated position.

"On the contrary, you've heard most of my tale already and I none of yours. You've got me in suspense; how am I to pass up such an offer? It would be my honor to exchange stories with one such as yourself." Yawning, the lean tom thought about which question to answer first. "My mother was secretive about it, it changed every year. It wasn't until my siblings and I had completed our first solo travels that we learned all the clans she'd ever told us were made up names but based off of actual clans." Pausing to think he licked his paw. "We didn't stay because we didn't want to. All of us, we want to roam and see what life is like everywhere. To see the seasons change in different lands, smell different winds, see the sunset from different trees... None of us can give that up." He waited to see if his answer had satisfied her.

Almost embarrassed the golden tom looked down. "My siblings names were Breeze Walker, Gust Singer, and Gale Dancer. Our parents had a theme, if you couldn't tell." Trying to change the subject from his siblings, he doubled back. "Our clan has the Homeland and that's all the territory we need. It's not big, but it's close to a food and water source come leaf bare. During our time reunited we have traditions of telling stories, I think you'd enjoy that part."

Feeling like he has probably been talking about himself for far to long, Wind Chaser sits quietly and looks at Six expectantly.

@belloblossom

Last edited:

belloblossom

Stew Aficionado
D
Six did relax when the source of Wind Chaser's amusement was clarified. She inclined her head in his direction in acknowledgement, but said no more on the topic. Watching as he settled, she mirrored his movements.

"Oh, you're thrilled, are you?" She replied with a smile. "I'm so pleased I've made your day with one compliment."

She settled in to listen to him and blinked slowly, comprehending what he had to say about his mysterious mother and bubbling with questions she kept quiet. My, his mother sounded positively infuriating; Six hated liars and while Wind Chaser made it sound like his mother was 'secretive' she heard it only as a mother who was constantly lying to her kits. Six thought of her own mother, a queen who was committed to the truth - even if it hurt you to hear it. She had a feeling that openly telling Wind Chaser that she believed his mother was in the wrong would not aid in a good first impression and kept her mouth carefully closed as he spoke.

When he at last spoke of how he'd left because of a desire to travel, she smiled for the first time in their conversation.
"I know that feeling well. I can't help but notice you're alone, however, did your family unit not sitck together?" She inquired, wondering if Wind Chaser's story may be more similar to her own than she'd previously realized. Her answer came as he spoke again, of the Homeland that they occupied. She flicked her tail. "I suppose this Homeland of yours is a large territory that you defend the borders of and keep loners at bay, hm?" She asked and sighed.

"I genuinely wish if the world had to be a territory for cats, that it could belong to all cats, without need of special titles or ranks. That we should all be free to follow our own paths along the land, without the worry of upsetting some cat who thinks that 'this mountain is mine' or 'this is my river and all the fish in it are my fish'." She rolled her eyes up to the blue sky above and watched the clouds go by. "Let cats go their own ways, let them wander wherever their paws take them and let them eat and sleep where they choose. A world without borders, that's what I could change the world to, if only I had the power." She mewed, her expression wistful.

When at last Wind Chaser fell silent, she nodded.
"Very well, you've answered my questions and told me your tale, I suppose you'll be wanting mine, though again, I promise I'm not so very interesting a cat as you seem to be." She warned him. "You mentioned your parents had a theme in naming you. Well, my mother did too. She was a practical cat and when she had six kittens she named them in order of their arrival. You may've guessed already, but I was the sixth among them and the youngest of my siblings."

"I never knew my father and my mother was a loner herself. She told us that she hadn't been planning on having a litter and wouldn't know how to track our father down even if she had needed the help - which she didn't. She managed on her own just fine leading up to having kits and we never wanted for food while we were in her care. She taught us to hunt, how to seek proper shelter... how to survive in the wild. When we were grown into our adolescence, she left us to lead our own lives and we parted ways." Six shrugged her shoulders. "I haven't seen my family since and I don't particularly mind. Even when we were together as kits it never seemed much like we were... together, if that makes sense. Occasionally I'll wonder what happened to Two or Five, but it's not something that haunts my dreams or any such matter."

Flexing her claws and kneading the ground, she concluded,
"And that's it. I've continued to survive, I've continued to travel. I've kept the skills my mother taught us honed and they continue to serve me. There's not much else to say, really." She looked over to Wind Chaser with a half smile. "Like I said, pretty boring." @NatiStorm

NatiStorm

Grizzled Veteran
D
It was nice to see Six relax in his company and Wind Chaser couldn't help but mirror her smile. His smile faded some as the darker cat aired her grievances about the clans. How could he make her see? Was there a way to make her understand? The ideals Six presented aligned so well with his own. A world where cats can roam where the please was exactly the world he wanted... almost. Wind Chaser wanted a world where all cats upheld the codes of honor as well as lived without boarders. Needing time to think over his response about his Homeland and family Wind Chaser let Six speak without interruption.

Another small chuckle escaped him as Six spoke of her mother and the naming theme used. It was nice not to be the only one with a simple name and somehow Six seemed to be the perfect name for the silver grey she-cat. Lowering his head onto his paws, he listened curiously as Six continued on about her life lessons. Though she seemed confident and sure, Wind Chaser felt a twinge of sadness for all of her time spent alone.

"Your story is less boring than you think." He sat up and nodded seriously to her. "To travel alone, successfully, for so long from such a young age is no small feat. I'm sure you've seen many great places in your travels. You have the makings of a good story, Six, and I would like to see where it leads you." Smiling, he looked back out to the pond and the land forest beyond before turning back to Six. "My Homeland is but a small cluster of trees near a twoleg nest. We don't defend it because we are rarely all there. All cats are welcome there provided they help hunt for those who can't and don't start trouble. We never attack first and even then, we make sure violence is the only way out and try to only injure our aggressors."

Still facing Six, Wind Chaser cast his eyes downward. "We have this tradition that every leafbare, everyone meets up at the Homeland to tell stories," He had mentioned it a few minutes ago but felt it bared repeating. "If a member of BreezeClan doesn't show up during that time they are presumed dead." As he looked up at Six his face was full of sadness. "I was the only one who showed up this past visit. I arrived early and stayed late but they never showed, none of them." He sighed and lowered himself back to his paws. There was a heavy grief in his voice as he spoke, "Another reason why my clan isn't really a clan. I'm the only member."

"However that won't stop me from trying to rebuild and bring wandering spirits together once more." Raising his head he looked to Six. "When the cold does come down from the mountain, I invite you to the Homeland to see for yourself what we share with others."

@belloblossom

belloblossom

Stew Aficionado
D
Six flicked her ears somewhat dismissively when Wind Chaser claimed that her story had some interest to it. She couldn't see it herself, but she didn't want to tell him off for being wrong. Besides, there was a warm tickle under her fur that had appeared when he'd told her he wanted to see where her story lead her. Would that mean they would meet again - did he actually want to meet her again, when they were little more than strangers?

Little more than strangers who divulged their pasts to one another. She thought. Perhaps the reality is that I want to see him again, even if it's just once.

As Wind Chaser began to speak again, Six found herself gazing intently at him.
"A peaceful Clan cat... that's certainly something I haven't heard of before." She mewed. When he cast his eyes onto his paws, her ears perked up, becoming more alert. Was something wrong?

Yes. Yes, something was wrong. The loss of his family, not ever knowing if they'd lived or died. She moved a front paw forward, as though to reach out and touch him, but she'd sat too far away. He was out of reach and she didn't know how to ease grief that she couldn't comprehend.

"Hearing your story, I think I'm better off with not knowing where my siblings are." She said quietly. "As well as choosing not have been close to them. But I can see you were close with your family and for that, I am very sorry for your losses." She furrowed her brow, trying to think. Was it worth suggesting they might still be alive and to give false hope? Was that cruel, or considerate? Bah! She'd never had to worry about this sort of thing when she was by herself. Comforting was not in her nature, though for Wind Chaser and how sorrowful he looked, she felt she had to try.

"Perhaps they thought it was time to find new traditions and went to search for stories even father away - they could still be on their journey, or coming back from an impossibly long one - what a story that will be! Or they got scooped up by the Twolegs from the Settlement in the mountains. There's any possibility that could have occurred and... if they have passed, let us imagine it was peaceful, on a day where the wind rustled through their fur and the air was warm." In place of being able to reach her tail or paw to press towards Wind Chaser to try to aid in physical comfort, she offered a long, slow blink to the tomcat instead.

At his sudden invitation, Six blinked again, but this time in bewilderment.
"Oh, I, um... Well." She couldn't stop staring at him - why couldn't she stop staring at him. She cleared her throat and curled her tail more tightly around herself. "Even with your description, I don't think I'd be able to find it on my own, so... so you'll just have to take me there yourself." She declared, making direct eye contact - for she was no mouse-heart when it came to bold declarations. @NatiStorm

NatiStorm

Grizzled Veteran
D
It was strange being comforted by someone not of his blood. When was the last time a stranger had offered such kind words to him? Wind Chaser couldn't help but purr softly at Six's words. There had been times where even the golden tom wasn't sure he would make it back to the Homeland time and thought about nesting somewhere else to wait out leafbare. Six was right, there were countless possibilities, many of which he'd already thought over. Something in him knew, he just knew, that thinking of any such possibilities would just fill him with a false hope that would crush him when he returned to their absence a second time. He didn't have it in him to explain his thoughts so he interrupted his low purr only to say "Maybe."

Wind Chaser's purr increased in volume as Six declared he should take her to the Homeland. It was more than he could have hoped for. A warmth spread through him as he looked into those keen golden eyes of hers. If Six joined BreezeClan then he would have more time to learn about her, to look into those bright eyes... and maybe the opportunity to make a story with her.

"It would be my honor." Wind Chaser dipped his head but held eye contact. "I'm not ready to head there just yet however so I present you with a choice. We can go our separate ways as the sun sets and when the leaves start to fall we meet back here to head Home. Or," He gave a slow blink as he paused before meeting her eyes again. "You can travel with me for a while before we make the journey back. Though it has been a brief meeting, I enjoy your company, Six, and I would relish the opportunity to observe how you have survived on your own this long." Though he meant it as a way to observe a potential clanmate and learn new ways of hunting, Wind Chaser couldn't deny that a part of him simply wanted to observe Six because of how nice she was to look at.
@belloblossom

belloblossom

Stew Aficionado
D
Six didn't allow herself the time to get embarrassed by the question she'd posed. She didn't let herself get flustered or doubt herself. Undoubtedly, doubts would spring into her mind the moment she was given any alone time to think by herself. But she wasn't alone at that moment; maybe that's why she'd made such a rash decision. Maybe that why Six would continue to make rash decisions.

"I'll travel with you." She told Wind Chaser. "I... have a feeling I'll enjoy the scenery with you around. Or learn to enjoy it more, anyway." She broke the eye contact and turned her head to the sky. "I came here to drink and I have. I got more than I suspected, with your company. Shall we move on?"

When was the last time she'd said 'we' in a sentence? She couldn't quite remember.
"Lead the way, Wind." She added, flicking her tail at him. He seemed to already have his life together - an idea of where to go. If he was inviting her along with him, she'd follow. For now, at least. @NatiStorm

NatiStorm

Grizzled Veteran
D
Wind Chaser didn't fight the purr that rumbled from him at the grey she-cat's reply. How long had it been since he had a traveling companion? Ah, that didn't matter, he had one for now. Taking one last look at the scenery around him, lingering on the setting sunlight on the pond, the golden tabby smiled and slowly blinked at Six. He nodded in response to her question, stretched out his front paws with a big yawn, and turned towards the woods.

"Alright then. We can follow the breeze and laugh at passerby's together." He said with a big smile and a chuckle. When he looked back to see if Six was following, his eyes were full of excitement and wonder. "Let's go see the world."
@belloblossom