Latest posts

Group events

Everchange

▶ Stage Five: The Finale

My Four Seasons

Veteran
D
Mule Account
Breaking character (again!) to explain and fill in for the final part of the META story. A year and some has passed since the META was placed on indefinite hiatus. With it being revived to finally complete there are liberties being taken to skip slightly past the unfinished game and get every player to the final point.

All ponies have completed the exploration and exited the cave to find themselves at the base of a large forest, where we will pick up from!

My Four Seasons

Veteran
D
Mule Account
The journey through the caves was a long and arduous trek, exhausting the group until they came to a slow crawl steps from the exit. Solstice did what he could, casting healing spells in hopes to aid in their escape, but he too felt the strains of their journey. It was all so new, nipping at their heels as they fought to maintain any semblance of normality through the unfamiliar lands. It was no surprise when the group came to a halt once everyone had squeezed out of the small exit, with several travelers collapsing onto the grassy ground.

Relief.

They had done it, and while they still remained within the blue underworld it at least wasn't within a long and winding cave that, as they progressed, seemed to slowly press closer and closer, as if to grip them within its maw. They were out in the open again, and with that they could breathe fresh air and catch their breath.

"Stay close!" Solstice shouted, breaking the gasped silence as the small unicorn stomped towards a frolicking Abraham, who had begun spinning and shouting in elated glee.

"This is familiar!" Abe came to a stop and gestured wildly around him, directing attention to the dark forest surrounding the group. Hundreds of trees encircled the troop, its canopy broken in pieces to reveal the glittering sky above. The dark and blue trees pulsed faintly with a teal light, akin to that of a heartbeat, while the even bluer grass faintly sparkled. It was familiar to Abe, sure, but for the rest of the group it remained as surreal as the rest of the evening.

It was also dark; darker than the caves had been. The pulse of lights didn't do much to reveal the landscape, swallowing sight and leaving the living to feel as if they were floating within an abyss. And yet, Abe remained with a wide smile and outstretched arms, searching for the group to feel the same excitement he practically glowed with.

"We are here; the Forest of Souls. If it has retained even a shred of its former self I believe I can safely navigate us through these parts." He ignored the pointed stare from Solstice.

"Believe?" A faint irritation leaked through Solstice's normally cold tone, teeth exposed into a grimace. "And what if you can't?"

"Well, yes, believe. I never hid the fact Below has shifted since the last time I was here, but I am the best you have. If you rather not choose to place your faith within me you can leave." Abe bit back, his face lightening once he returned his attention to the group. "Those who wish to press forward should do so only after we have rested. I imagine your living bodies need a moment's respite."

Solstice swung to face the group, their horn lighting into a brilliant gold. A blinding flash enveloped the forest and, with its dispersal, left a fully set campsite, complete with a flickering fire. The red flames shimmered into a blue, surprising even Solstice as he quickly glanced at Abe.

"Below likes to have its way," Abe explained, floating towards the drained group of travelers. "Let us rest, and once you are ready we shall continue onward. It should not be long now; the forest acts as a cradle for the newest dead and also as a maze to protect the rulers while they convene."

The group shuffled into action, a few claiming a spot to lay while others began to fuss with food. It was time to rest and recover for however long it took, which many welcomed readily. Solstice settled against a nearby tree with Abe, where the two bickered under their breaths.

- - - -

It had only been a few hours until the troop was ready. Solstice had tended to every pony, checking for injuries and healing what he could. Food had been passed, stories were exchanged, and a soft titter of nervous laughter fluttered within the group, fed by the relief for a moment's reprieve. Solstice had returned only two ponies to Everchange, creating a portal of golds and reds that swallowed them back towards the start. His shoulders sagged as the group began to pack back up and he swallowed the campsite back to wherever it had come from, but he remained with his head raised and eyes locked on the path ahead, body leaned against a tree as he watched the darkness.

"Listen closely, my friends," Abraham called, taking his position at the head and joined by Solstice. "The forest will chew up anyone who deviates the path, but there is a trick to safely find your route. Ours requires the findings of small floating souls; they're blue and resemble a wisp. Call out if you see one and we will continue onwards."

Abraham paused, his face flickering with a moment's concern. "Everyone must stay close. There are things here that will want what you have; life. If you stray far you risk being lost forever, so stick close to the pony beside you."

Solstice's horn erupted into a golden light, illuminating the immediate vicinity. "We won't lose anyone today."

Abe regarded the small unicorn as Solstice pulled his hood back over his head, nodding faintly. "Agreed. Just find a buddy and hold onto them!"

So they pushed forward, clinging together as a group with Solstice and Abe at front. Blue wisps faded in and out of sight, called out by various ponies and followed with swift steps. Abe continuously praised each pony to find a wisp, voice crescendoing into pure jubilation as the trees began to slowly part, giving the ponies more and more room to fan out.

"We are getting closer!" He shouted. Solstice glanced back, evaluating the group's status before turning back to whispering towards Abe. The duo hissed towards one another, too caught up in their continuous banter to notice one of the ponies pause to examine a lone blue flower, their chosen partner skipping ahead anxiously without them.

"Oh, this is absolutely beautiful!" The pony called, snapping Solstice's attention back to them. The group had taken a fair amount of steps ahead, enough to ring the alarm of panic that spread across the unicorns face.

"Come her-"

The world around them exploded into sound and shrieks as the earth sprung into chaotic action, nearly swallowing the straggler as it broke free and dozens of dark and clawed hands reached out, grabbing at the pony. The group shattered into a panic, dispersing as ponies attempted to either flee or help. Those breaking from the group cried out as the ground parted and they too were seized and clawed at, pulled further and further into the ground as Solstice darted forward.

"Solstice- don't!" Abe's call was too late, failing to stop the unicorn from summoning a brilliant and violent fire and burning what he could. The spectral hands dropped ponies left and right, only for more to reach out and drag the screaming victims. Solstice cursed as he cast another spell, and another, and another, until he too felt the disembodied hands grip around his body and pull.

Abe cried out as the ponies he had journeyed with writhed and shrieked, desperately attempting to grab those near him only for him to feel his body slip through theirs, the hands shoving off Abe's hooves as they began to swallow their captives within the earth. Solstice struggled, reaching out towards the ghost as one of the many hands grabbed his horn and yanked.

SNAP!

The defeated cry rang through the forest as Solstice's horn fell to the ground, his magic rendered useless as his body fell limp -- too worn to continue onward. The hands desperately clawed at him, dragging him further underground until all that could be seen were the top of his eyes, which fixated on Abe. This was it; the mission had failed, and with it they had forfeited their lives. Solstice's cloak, torn and tattered, laid on the ground as a symbol of their loss. Of Everchange's loss.

It was over.

"BEGONE!"

A loud cry rang through the forest with a force of power that bent and snapped trees. The hands erupted into blue light, squirming and twisting as they were forced from the earth and their victims were dropped unceremoniously onto the ground. Abraham whirled around and gasped, rushing towards the source.

"My queen!"

And what a Queen she was. Behind him stood an ethereal alicorn of great beauty, her pale form shimmering faint ripples of pearlescent light as she towered over the ghost, her long wings shielding him as her horn cast another wave of bright light, enveloping the last of the hands until they were no more.

Ponies coughed back into life, choking on their breath as it returned. She waited for them, her long dark hair shifting over her face to unmask a hole in her left cheek, revealing teeth and bone and the mark of death; proof she was not of their own.

And yet she saved them.

"Kore!"

Another Alicorn appeared from the trees; larger than her and darker than night. His form flickered, broken up only by glow blue eyes that locked on the pearlescent queen-- on Kore. She smiled faintly, reaching and embracing her darker companion. Her touch rippled through him, breaking the shadows until what laid underneath was an impressive Alicorn with a dark pelt and skeletal markings.

"Haides," she greeted, returning her gaze to the recovering group. "I've found our guests."

My Four Seasons

Veteran
D
Mule Account
Many within the group had remained unconscious after the incident, with others rattled senselessly. Solstice was one of them, limply held by members of the group as they were ushered out of the forest and into a magnificent overgrown castle. Kore cooed soft words of reassurance as she attempted to repair wounds while Haides led the group with a scowl. Abraham wordlessly stayed by Haides side, faintly nodding when spoken to.

The castle was victorian in appearance and covered in plant growth, but inside was an immaculate display of gothic beauty, rivaling the Four Queens own castles. Kore gestured towards the group and led them through halls and corridors until, finally, they stumbled within what looked like an abandoned dormitory, complete with enough beds for each of them.

"Rest here," Kore crooned, patting a nearby bed. "We haven't had your kind in so long, but it is what we have."

"You shouldn't have come here," Haides grumbled, slipping to her side.
"Dearest, please," Kore affectionately brush her hoof across his jaw, earning her a low sigh of frustration.

"This is why we closed it in the first place, soulflower."

Kore returned her attention to the group, head shaking softly. "But they're here now, and we have much to talk about once they've recovered. I will see to your wounds myself. Who is your leader?"

Abraham shifted, nodding towards a fallen Solstice. "He's hurt." His voice dripped with remorse, spectral body pressing into the shadows as he attempted to stay unnoticed. "It's my fault."

"I doubt this is true," Kore answered him, drifting to Solstice's side and sympathetically touching his broken horn. "Poor poor thing."

"Abraham!" Haides barked. Abe jolted, floating forwards and towards the great Alicorn. "Come with me and explain this situation."

"Yes, my king."

- - - -

Kore stuck to her promise, healing the living to the best of her abilities as they waited for Haides' to return. She was kind and benevolent, offering words of sympathy as she brushed a cold hoof over each wound and comforted every frightened soul. Solstice began to stir after some time, groaning faintly as his eyes fluttered open and he snapped upright.

"Stop-!" His voice cracked and faltered into a faint whimper as he examined his surroundings, shifting to move out of the bed he had been placed in. Kore moved quickly, cutting off his intent by pressing the unicorn back.

"Shhh, shhh. Everything is alright. Everyone is okay, just rest." Her hoof firmly remained on his chest, keeping him down. "It is time we speak, little one."

Kore and Solstice remained together, voices low as the unicorn and alicorn exchanged words. The room tittered faintly, anxiety fogging the air while left to their own devices. It wasn't long before Haides returned with a sunken Abraham. Haides glowered at the group of living, snapping his wings and folding them with a huff of irritation.

"A door opens and you lot choose to enter it without any regard towards your own safety out of mere curiosity? I see you haven't changed, mortals." Haides hissed. Kore heaved a heavy sigh and pulled herself from Solstice, her spot quickly taken by Abraham.

"I am so sorry. I should have been paying attention!" Abe's panicked words fettered into a low whisper as Solstice and Abe spoke under their breaths hurriedly. Kore left the two, joining Haides side once more.

"The door was bound to open someday," Kore answered her companion. "We knew this a long time ago." She paused, turning towards the group. "I'm not surprised they came here; the living have always wanted answers during their short lifespans. All that matters is they're safe; and now we have much to talk about."

Haides wrapped an arm around hers and sighed, nuzzling into her hair. "I've dreaded this day. It's so much
paperwork."

My Four Seasons

Veteran
D
Mule Account
Time passed within Everchange; three months, to be exact. News did not arrive until the second month, when two ponies returned to the Nightday Circus in a flash of light. The Queens seized them immediately and they were ushered to the Fall Kingdom. The royal guards kept onlookers from the circus, tightening security once the two ponies were taken in, preventing any prying eyes from finding out something they shouldn't.

For Everchange, all that had passed was time. Time that did not line up with the travelers, who had, to their knowledge, been only gone for a few weeks. Within Below the party was welcomed by the Queen and King, despite varying degrees of warmth between the two. Solstice, unable to teleport anyone back, remained within the castle with his troop, however he had been whisked away to the throne room shortly after his awakening. The travelers were offered housing within the castle as the rulers of Below and Abraham spoke to Solstice, with an occasional living pony summoned to the throne room for questioning and further explanation.

Eventually, after long nights of worry and nerves, Solstice returned to his group and retold the tale he had been given. It was time to go, he said, but they wouldn't be leaving by themselves. No, they were going to return back with the rulers. It was time for the Queens of Everchange to meet the Queen and King of Below.

They returned at night in a great light, crashing into the basement of the haunted house that protected the still open door. Guards met them immediately, faltering at the two alicorns who rivaled the size of their Four Queens, who were disguised in various cloaks and cloths and transported to the Fall Kingdom alongside the tired mortals who had fought their way to find them.

Conspiracy theories flew, but none came close to the truth. None could expect that, in two months time, the group now known as the Brave Below would stand beside two beautiful alicorns and the Four Queens on a national broadcast. None were prepared for the truth.

"Thousands of years have passed since the living and the dead have crossed paths," Kore spoke, her face covering every television, stream, and phone within Everchange. "There was a time when the dead roamed freely on your earth, but you never saw them. We lived in harmony with your kind, sharing in your lives quietly as you chased after life. When you died you would join our side, and we welcomed you. We have always welcomed you, for your journey doesn't end after death. Below has been your second journey- your afterlife, as you call it. But there was a time you didn't have to say goodbye to the world of the living, either.

"And then- without warning or explanation- we began to fade. Not all of us, but enough of the dead still traversing your lands simply vanished into nothingness. Those within our home were safe, but not in yours. So we closed the gates; we called our people back and sealed every entry-- or we thought we had. One of us remained with you, spared from the vanishing but now trapped on your side as the last door was sealed. Perhaps that is why the door reopened after thousands of years had passed. Maybe it is he you have to thank.

Whatever the cause was, a door reopened. Below and your world were connected once more. Your Queens sent a carefully selected group into what you previously knew nothing about, and it is through them we once again meet. We are Kore and Haides; the rulers of the Below and afterlife, and we welcome Everchange as our ally-- as our sister in life. We know not why not only the door has reopened but you can see our kind, but we embrace the opportunity to walk the same plains together again. To be whole, as the world had intended long ago.

We welcome you, Everchange, and we are pleased to receive the same in return, even if your lands are smaller than we remembered."

The broadcast shook the world to its core as it abruptly turned off, and with that came the slow trickle of news. More and more doors had opened within the world, leading into the brilliant blue scape of Below. The Four Queens worked tirelessly with the Below rulers in establishing safer methods to travel within the unknown lands, with those who wished to traverse and explore Below given special charms to detour any life-claiming creatures that lurked within.

Below was not much different than Everchange; they had cities, deserts, forests, and more, all cloaked in various hues of blues and blacks and a fog of glitter. The dead welcomed the living, with some even reconnecting with their living descendants. The two realms melded seamlessly into one another, as Everchange also accepted the ghosts of Below into their world.

And now we come to the next biggest change within Everchange. As ponies explored Below in hopes of finding lost relatives it became clear not all dead souls traversed Below. Some had accepted their end and melded into the nothingness, moving on past life and death and back into the magic of Everchange.

And then there were the others -- the selected, who found themselves given another chance at life. To return to the world of the living in a body created to house and protect their soul, rebirthing them into someone else entirely. Gone were their memories and old bodies, replaced instead with one that did not usually resemble in any form their previous life. A different appearance, a different gender for some, a different life -- these few were chosen by Kore to begin anew, and they were named Banshee.

Banshees have since slowly been brought into the world at Kore's whim and descretion. Their soul is tethered to their body by their protective lantern embedded into their chest. Their new body is entirely a living one, created for their new life. Most Banshee won't even resemble their old form by a little, although some may have a few identifying traits. Their memories have entirely been wiped to make room for their new life, letting them start anew. Everchange has welcomed these few and created a system to safely implement the confused newlings, finalizing their full embracing of Below.

The world of Everchange and Below have become whole, and now a new story can be told.

My Four Seasons

Veteran
D
Mule Account
Congratulations on the end of a very long META! This marks the completion of the Nightday Circus, and begins the process of implementing new locations, guides, and breed! This will take time but will be prioritized alongside other updates in Feburary!

Secondely, those who participated will have their points totaled for a Grand Prize, which will be revealed at some point within Feburary! Keep an eye out!