🍽 Food and Recipes 😋

Midnight Holographic

Long-Term Resident
D
Ben's Secret German Goulash Recipe

Ingredients:

• Thick Cut Bacon sliced into chunks​
  • Stewing Beef Chunks (Personal addition I would use a real fatty roast to cube. Beef without fat will get dry and tough and while you are slow cooking this baby there is only so much it'll break down in the cooking process.)​
  • Yellow Potatoes Quartered (Personal addition instead of large yellow potatoes I would use small mixed baby potatoes and either halve or even quarter them. Their sized to fit in your spoon and they'll absorb more flavor by being less thick)​
  • Leek shopped​
  • Celeriac otherwise known as celery root cubed (and if not available you can substitute with Celery or a similar root vegetable like Rutabaga, Turnip, or Parsnip)​
  • (Personal addition I would add celery anyways and turnip even if you have Celeriac)​
  • Carrots chopped​
  • Sweet Peppers sliced into large chunks (Red, Orange, or Yellow bell pepper)​
  • Diced Tomatoes (canned or fresh) 1 to 2 cans​
  • (Personal addition 1 - 2 cans Tomato Paste to thicken the soup base and a teaspoon of sugar to cut the acid of the tomato paste)​
  • Beef, pork, or vegetable broth (Personal addition I would use beef broth.)​
  • Onion​
  • Garlic​
  • Olive Oil​
  • Dry White Wine, NOT cooking wine. (I would substitute with a dry red wine like a Merlot because it goes better with beef, and I would end up using the whole bottle)​
  • Paprika​
  • Chili Flakes​
  • (Personal addition 2-3 whole dried or fresh basil)​
  • Parsley (Fresh or dry)​
  • Salt and Pepper to Taste​

Notes:
  • Before cooking salt your stewing beef overnight, or at least an hour before. If working with your own larger cut of beef cut it into small cubes ahead of time for this process.
  • Slice your thick cut bacon into smaller strips. It should look more like thick cubes than thin strips.​
  • Peel your yellow potatoes and then halve and quarter them to all be approximately the same size. These will be cooking for a while so you don't want the pieces too small.​
  • Slice the leek into small rounds.​
  • Chop your carrots into large chunks or as I like to call them peasant cuts.​
  • Cube your Celeriac or Celeriac root vegetable substitute, or if working with celery cut into small half moons​
  • Vertically cut your sweet peppers in quarter strips. Then cut those quarter strips into large pieces.​
  • Dice your onion and mince your garlic​

• You will want a large cooking pot to both fry and slow cook your goulash in. If instead you're going to transfer the food into a separate slow cooker or roasting pan after frying your ingredients in a pan make sure to deglaze the frying pan really well so the flavor from the bottom of the pan makes it into the pot you're transferring your food into.​
  • You'll fan to fry at a high temperature, lowering it to a medium temp when deglazing the pan, and slow cooking the goulash as a stew throughout​

Instructions:
  • In your pan or pot add olive oil and fry both the beef and the bacon. Don't use too much oil as the bacon will release a lot of it's own fats and if you find the pan too dry you can add more oil as needed. My recommendation is to not to overcrowd the pan with too many pieces of meat. To fry the meat in small batches until beef is browned, and remove them before they are fully cooked to a side plate until all raw meat is cooked before adding it all back into the pan for the next step.​
  • Add your onion and garlic to the pan string them into the meat and sauteing them for several minutes being careful not to burn them​
  • Add your tomato paste stirring it into the mixture of meat and onions. This is to thicken the soup base of the goulash and you'll want to cook out the tinny flavor of the tomato paste before moving onto the next step. If you want a thicker soup base add a second can of tomato paste and/or some flour.​
  • Reducing the heat to medium add a cup of your dry wight wine deglazing the pan and getting all that good good flavor into your mixture of meat and onions. If you need more wine to deglaze the the frying surface you can add more.
  • Add diced tomatoes. Reserve putting in all the diced tomatoes at once as you still need to fill the pot with broth. If you find that you need more and have room add it after the rest of your ingredients go in.​
  • You can now add the rest of your ingredients. You want to be careful to proportion how much vegetable to broth you're adding to the pot.​

Last edited:

Midnight Holographic

Long-Term Resident
D
Three-Cup Chicken

Ingredients​

• 3 tablespoons canola oil (or any light oil)
  • Ginger sliced about 1/6” thick, peeled and sliced into coins, approximately 12 pieces
  • 12 cloves of garlic, peeled, or to your preference of the amount of garlic
  • 4 whole scallions (large) or 8 thin scallions, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 3 dried red peppers, or dried Japanese red peppers, or 1 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
  • 2 pounds chicken thighs, boneless or bone-in, cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1 tablespoon any brown sugar, preferably light
  • ½ cup mirin rice wine
  • ¼ cup soy sauce, preferably light
  • Handful of Snowpeas left uncut
  • 1 large Carrot cut into thin planks
  • Half a head of Broccoli pieced into small florets
  • 2 cups fresh Thai basil leaves or regular basil leaves, preferably fresh
  • Pinch of Sesame Seeds to garnish
Marinade: (kind of guessing the measurements on this one)​

• Equal parts 1 cup soy sauce, 1 cup rice wine vinegar​
  • Pinch of Salt​
  • Handful of cornstarch​
  • Tablespoon of sugar​

5. Cook chicken 15 minutes; brown well.

10. Cook sauce until very thick and coats chicken.
Instructions:

1. Marinate the chicken in mix of soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, rice wine vinegar, and salt for at least a half hour to and hour, or preferably overnight.
  2. Heat a wok over high heat and add 2 tablespoons canola oil. When the oil shimmers, add the ginger, garlic, scallions and peppers, and cook until fragrant, approximately 2 minutes.
  3. Scrape the aromatics to the sides of the wok, add remaining oil and allow to heat through. Add the chicken, and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is browned and crisping at the edges. Approximately 15 minutes.
  4. Add stir fry vegetables preferably fresh, or brought up to room temperature beforehand, snow peas, broccoli, and carrots
  5. Add sugar and stir to combine, then add the rice wine and soy sauce, and bring just to a boil. Lower the heat, then simmer until the sauce has reduced and started to thicken, approximately 15 minutes.
  6. Turn off the heat, add the basil and stir to combine. Serve with white rice.
  7. Sesame Seeds to garnish

(1) Source and (2) source, was linked in the first source and (3) source, was linked in the second source and seems to be the online origin of the recipe lol

What I like about this recipe is that a lot of people have clearly tried it and adapted it. They liked it so much they went to comment back or post it on IMGUR their personal twist to the recipe. This is one I would really like to try myself and I may put it up on the recipe challenge suggestion list. The recipe you see above is one I've adapted from several comments from a few of the different source on the recipe. RDCollins who commented on the third source and the original recipe had a lot of good suggestion, but so to did the authors of source 1 and 2 had to a lot to add.