Guide thread

owlsomniac

Station Visitor
D
You guys are prob already working on one but if not I definitely suggest a guide thread of some kind to help newbs like me navigate the site as well as understand the various functions and such.

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
🐸

Do you have any kind of suggestions (since you've been poking around) about the sorts of things that would be good to explain?

I'd love to have a newbie thread but it's hard for us to know what's immediately obvious and what might need a little more explaining since we've been building the site, yk? XD (Also, welcome and congrats on being the first suggestion thread. |D)

🐸

owlsomniac

Station Visitor
D
Ah man I don't remember all what stood out to me when I first was poking around but.... off the top of my head.

- A BBC code post (if there are code tags that might differ from the usual and/or ones unique to BS)
- An explanation post about the site's currency (idk if this already exists but I remember kinda looking and not seeing one...), and how it's earned.

I'll post more if I see them/remember haha xD

@polliwoggi

owlsomniac

Station Visitor
D
Oh I think, originally, I meant more info on how some of the site preference functions work...?

I'm currently looking for an option that might allow me to turn off other people's post styles. Some of these squiggly neon fonts are impossible for my old tired eyes to read lmao xD

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
🐸

There is a thread about bbcode - in this subforum, though I don't think it had been moved here until after you posted! You can also use the editor's gear icon to view the bbcode for whatever wysiwyg settings you've applied if you ever forget what the codes are. :3

For the currency ye, I think I've answered five or six times Qs about credits so PROBABLY a good idea. x'D

For post styles it's unfortunately the same as any other similar site in that it just inserts bbcode, so disabling them would equate to stripping ALL bbcode from everything. However I fully encourage you to let people know if their styles are unreadable l o l.

I have considered possibly creating a guide to readability in post styles, but I don't know if it would help? If worse comes to worst you can quote a post to see the text, but I'm hoping people will create a culture of good / acceptable post styles instead of the opposite course of action (taking them away).

🐸

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
🐸

For site preferences, I think we can def add that to a guide though. Maybe lump a short guide to readability in too - SOME people would read it.
🐸

owlsomniac

Station Visitor
D
Haha all sounds like a good idea honestly!! I just don't want to seem R00D if I'm like "hey I cannot read a WORD of what you're saying" and honestly I'm way too lazy to quote every person who has a style I can't read just to see what they're saying LMAO (though that is a good shortcut in case it's potentially important or whatever).

owlsomniac

Station Visitor
D
@polliwoggi

ok new suggestion if possible XD

If there's a way to turn off the wait time between posts in the spam/test thread area? Trying to test dice game mechanics is hard when you have to wait between posts.... esp if you're making a lot of rolls @_@

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
🐸

I'll see if there's anything I can do without a major forum overhaul but currently post timing is global, so if I change post time there (currently set to 10 sec) then it'll change everywhere. é uè;

As a possible work-around, if you have a mule you could jump back and forth between your main and your mule, although that means you're only earning half the creds. x'D;

🐸

owlsomniac

Station Visitor
D
Haha gotcha, no worries xD Just thought I'd ask/mention in case it was something that could be changed :>

owlsomniac

Station Visitor
D
@polliwoggi

More stuff!

When making a new Group, I didn’t see an option to make topics private & invisible unless someone has access (such as for staff only). Is that something that would be possible to implement?

Nvm I found it! I just wasn't looking in the right place xD; Was looking in "Post Thread" instead of "Owner Tools"!