Hiring Thread!

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
Welcome to your doom hiring thread!
This is the hiring thread for Animal Country: Big City! Please be aware that our guidelines have changed since the first time around, as have our general art style and standards. Even if you've worked with us before, we ask that you make sure to take a look over everything before you apply.

Once you're good with that, though, we welcome all applicants and hope to see a lot of you! With the expansion off of Gaia we're hoping to really kick off again, so what are you waiting for? Get coloring!

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
Staff Expectations

For ease and to give you a bit of a break, this is going to be broken into two sections; first are the general staff work requirements and privileges, and second are the art style changes and guidelines. Make sure you read everything!

Staff Duties and Privileges

Previously, we didn't really have much in the way of staff duties, because we want things to be relaxed. Going forward, we are going to have a few requirements, though we still mostly want things to be pretty chill.

You must be a member of both Discord and Basilisk Stew. Being a member on DeviantArt is optional, but for quick communication you need to be part of the Discord server, and in order to ensure you can participate in all events, you need to be on this forum as well. Neither of these should really be an issue if you're applying at all, I think, but it needs to be said.

You must be active in the shop. Obviously we don't expect you to talk every day, but we do expect you to poke your head in more often than not. We're a community, not just an art mill, so you need to be a part of it!

You must be willing to contribute the required number of citzens. While you can run your own customs, giveaways, and the like, we expect all colorist staff to contribute a bare minimum of 2 citz or one wish every month. This is a very low requirement but allows some consistent flow of games and events to keep the shop alive!

You will be compensated with staff credits. Staff credits are a currency by which you may buy new citizens or wishings! These points are given based on the work you do and may be spent at any time. If you leave the shop's employ, you will still be allowed to spend your staff credits as you'd have been able to when you left. Your credits will never be taken away.

You will be allowed to take RLC. Each staff member starts with the right to take three (3) non-auction RLC slots per month, and one (1) auction slot every four months. You keep 90% of your non-auction slot profit, and 80% of your auction profit, with the remaining 10/20% due to the shop as a rights usage fee. You may earn more slots by demonstrating a consistent quality and production rate, at the discretion of the owners.

You will be required to follow RLC guidelines. Staff members are currently not allowed to produce demons or new races. Staff will only be allowed to produce monsters if they demonstrate the editing ability necessary for the edit level. All other levels of RLC are allowed as long as that staff member is cleared for the edit level needed.

Art Requirements

You must work with the shop's art style. The lineart style is no longer smooth, it is drawn with a tapered binary brush, and you will be expected to make any edits with a similar brush. Coloration may be done with either smooth or binary style, but all lineart needs to be consistent. A binary brush is also known as a pencil brush in some art programs; basically, a pixel only brush with no anti-aliasing.

Final citizen art also requires a 5 pixel stroke around the edges in solid white. If you are uncertain how to do this, @polliwoggi can explain it for most art programs.

You must maintain an expected level of quality. While we understand that your application is meant to impress, please do not offer your top tier, most extensive and difficult work only as your application examples. We expect you to typically produce work at the level that you apply with; while obviously not every citizen is going to be the same level of detail or editing, whatever "wow" factor you put in this thread is what we will typically expect. With that in mind, it's preferred that you give us your average here - save the amazing work for something special!

You must be willing to accept critique. Please note, this means legitimate constructive criticism, not having your art picked on or insulted. Some of the bases are difficult to work with, and we understand that the style might not be everyone's forte starting out! With that in mind, please note that citizens pre-approval may be subject to critique during the approvals process. This is only to help you make the best citizens possible, and will never be an attack on you or your art.

You must be willing to go through an approval process. All citizens will need to be approved on Discord by one of the administrators before they can be officially homed. While you may do things like franken-streams or in-chat/in-thread games, the final result must still be approved before uploading.

You must manage your own uploads outside of events. Unlike before, you will be responsible for uploading homed citizens to our master list. This involves using a back-end system to upload your image, assigning the proper race from a dropdown menu, and giving it to the proper owner by filling out a name field. We will of course work with everyone to ensure they know how to use it properly, but make sure you're comfortable with the idea!

Last edited:

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
Above you will find four of our lines in both PSD and PNG form. Please note the PSDs may not be GIMP compatible, but should work in other PSD compatible programs, but the transparent PNGs are available in case of any issue. These lines may not be used for any other purpose than applying for a designer position! Also, keep in mind that while there are faces included to give a general guideline of how the structure of the citizen works, you are expected to draw your own. Please don't use the included faces in your final product!

Application Requirements

Basic
For the base application, which allows you to color unedited citizens, you must produce both a free-form citizen and a specific request citizen. You may do whatever you wish for the free-form citizen, and you can find several requests in the spoiler below that you may pick from for the specific request.

1 said:
Give me a cub colored like a real bear.
2 said:
I'd like twin rabbits based on this image, with one of them having black instead of white.
3 said:
I want something colored like this shell, not the background! No swirlies or anything please, just the blendy colors and the shiny.
4 said:
I'd like a wolf to match this cat as closely as possible.
5 said:
I want a shark colored like this frog, except I only want pastel or neon colors. Not mixed, just one or the other. I also want the feet to be solid black.
6 said:
Can I just get something with a shirt inspired by this? lol

Edits
If you want to do edits, then you must create a citizen for each level of edit you'd like to be cleared for. Going forward, we are shifting edits into three categories: light, heavy, and monster edits. Light edits are small additions, such as a bracelet, a bow, a tuft of hair, etc. Heavy edits are more extensive, with large hairstyles, intricate outfits, custom horns or wings, etc. Monster level edits transform a citizen into something different; they are typically very large and extensive, though any edit that changes the core of what a citizen's race is can be considered a monstrous one.

Please note: all edits, heavy or light, must be compatible with the citizen's base anatomy. Having extra long ears on a rabbit, for instance, or giving a shark a new tail tip is fine, but giving horns to a wolf or wings to a karp are not. Giving any edit that changes the underlying base anatomy to an extensive degree automatically changes that citizen into a monster. Feel free to ask @polliwoggi or @ֆɦǟʀᏦɮɛʀʀʏ🍕 if you're uncertain.

You do not have to try out for all or any levels of edit if you do not wish! We want to see your interpretation of these rules - if one is more or less than it should be, that will not reflect poorly on your application, you will simply be corrected if you are hired, so have fun.

These are all free-form citizens.

Wishing
Finally, if you want to do wishes, you must wish at least two of your application citizens together to make two new ones. Wishing is what breeding is in other places; you make new citizens based on the appearance and races of the wishers. It is up to you which of your citizens you are wishing, but you must specify in your application.

The specific process of wishing is being redone, so for now we ask that if you apply for a wish-capable position, please wish citizens of different races and include both in the 'child' results.

Last edited:

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
Entry Form

When you apply, please use the following form. If you revise your form for any reason, please edit your original to remove the form and make a new post, otherwise we likely won't know that you've changed anything!

Please delete any application section you are not applying for. This only includes Edited Citizens sections (light/heavy/monster) and Wishing!

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] (Not username, what you want to be called!)
[B]Times typically online:[/B] (please give your timezone!)
[B]Are you able to agree to all the responsibilities above?[/B] yes/no
[B]Are you willing to use Discord along with this forum?[/B] yes/no
[B]Do you have any interest in posting citizens on DeviantArt for our group?[/B] yes/no
[B]Do you have interest in taking RLC slots?[/B] yes/no
[B]If yes, are you at least 18 years of age?[/B]

Basic Citizens[/B]
(please link your images here!)

[B]Edited Citizens [/B]
[I]Light Edits[/I]
(link here!)
[I]Heavy Edits[/I]
(link here!)
[I]Monsters[/I]
(link here!)

[B]Wishing[/B]
(please indicate which citizens you're wishing)
(please link the wishlings here!)

Seimei

Grizzled Veteran
D
Name: Emmer or Seimei
Times typically online: 7am-10pm central until further notice
Are you able to agree to all the responsibilities above? yes
Are you willing to use Discord along with this forum? yes
Do you have any interest in posting citizens on DeviantArt for our group? yes
Do you have interest in taking RLC slots? yes
If yes, are you at least 18 years of age? Yes

Basic Citizens[/B]
(please link your images here!)

Edited Citizens
Light Edits
Looks like the cat
based on a real species of bear

Heavy Edits
Hearts
Rainbow Candy

Monsters
Shy Wings

Wishing
Hearts and Bear
Wish 1 and Wish 2

Last edited:

ocey

Station Visitor
D
Name: OC / Ocey / Oce
Times typically online: GMT; typically 6-10pm for art
If yes, are you at least 18 years of age? yes

Basic Citizens
Edited Citizens

Light Edits
Heavy Edits
Monsters
Wishing
(please indicate which citizens you're wishing)
(please link the wishlings here!)
Done!

Last edited:

Nym

actual trash
D
Staff member
Mod
Name: Nym
Times typically online: EST, usually around most of the day
Are you able to agree to all the responsibilities above? Yes
Are you willing to use Discord along with this forum? Yes
Do you have any interest in posting citizens on DeviantArt for our group? Yes
Do you have interest in taking RLC slots? Yes

Basic Citizens[/B]
Free, Semi Request

Edited Citizens
Light Edits
Semi Request
Heavy Edits
--- [unsure if Monster is considered heavy]
Monsters
Monster

Wishing
--- Not applying for Wishing

Wish

Firstborn Unicorn
D
Name: Lilly / Wish
Times typically online: Forever. CST.
Are you able to agree to all the responsibilities above? Ye
Are you willing to use Discord along with this forum? Ye
Do you have any interest in posting citizens on DeviantArt for our group? Ye
Do you have interest in taking RLC slots? Ye
If yes, are you at least 18 years of age? Ye

Basic Citizens
Free
Request / Request

Edited Citizens
Light Edits
Citizen ( Might qualify as Heavy edits, I guess? Idk for sure. )
Heavy Edits

Wishing
I'd like to add for wishing later.

One Little Jay

Grizzled Veteran
D
Name: Jay
Times typically online: I'm available to reach 6am-10pm EST I am online normally 1pm- 10pm est
Are you able to agree to all the responsibilities above? Yes
Are you willing to use Discord along with this forum? Yes
Do you have any interest in posting citizens on DeviantArt for our group? No, but if you would like me to I do have a DeviantArt account so I can!
Do you have interest in taking RLC slots? Yes

Basic Citizens[/B]
Free Form Request #1

Edited Citizens
Light Edits
Light Bunner
Heavy Edits
Moderate Edit Shark Heavy Edit Wolf
Monsters
Snake Wolf

Wishing
Light Bunner X Free Form
BABY1 X BABY2

Corn

Resident
D
Name: Corn
Times typically online: almost always...
If yes, are you at least 18 years of age? yea dude

Basic Citizens
freeform wolf, request bunny twins, request treefrog shark, blue shirt request

Edited Citizens
Light Edits
request seashell bunny, request cub
Heavy Edits
freeform wolf, request cub
Monsters
freeform bunny

Wishing
wishling 1, wishling 2, wishling 3

Last edited:

Mystaira

Station Visitor
D
Name: Myst / Kirakat
Times typically online: PST, nocturnal
Do you have any interest in posting citizens on DeviantArt for our group? maybe
If yes, are you at least 18 years of age? yes

Basic Citizens
freeform wolf

Edited Citizens
a thing

Wishing
(hadn't gotten to this either XD)

Last edited:

Anhelisk

New Arrival
D
Name: Lısk
Times typically online: 3:00PM - 3:00AM, give or take! I'm either in EST or Mountain Time.
Are you able to agree to all the responsibilities above? Yep!
Are you willing to use Discord along with this forum? Sure am!
Do you have any interest in posting citizens on DeviantArt for our group? Absolutely!
Do you have interest in taking RLC slots? Mhm!
If yes, are you at least 18 years of age? Yes!

Basic Citizens
Freeform 1

Edited Citizens

Heavy Edits
Request 1

Last edited: