Interest Check - Humaniods!

Humaniods?

• Total voters

Avarnis

Station Visitor
D
Hi guys!

I do a lot of humans with a fantasy flare, and trying to move into possible adopt. (So some will be just human looking, others will be humaniod, where they are typically at least 80-90% human features)
But I don't know if there will be interest.

A friend suggested this platform to try and branch out into!

I'm not 100% on how i want to do the adopts. (Like have a sort of 'egg' advertising the over all theme, what kind of gender/body shape/clothes/accessories are included in the 'egg' {what ever vessel that egg takes part in} and use bases I make with visuals posted for each body/gender type, or just post the adopt outright)

I do know that until I establish an average selling price, I'll put a starting price and then host auctions for them. (Up for debate if you don't think this is a good idea). The idea behind an auction is so that way people can sort of set the price above my base price, and at set levels can earn more art of the character! The new art will be made after the auction ends of course. (looking for a week turn around unless I get extra shifts, which I'll let people know of course!)

I'm also debating on if I should have a discord or not... if that will make things easier on people?

So please do share your thoughts! If humaniods are wanted, if eggs are a good idea or not, and if auctions and a discord are interesting or just too many extra steps.

Looking forward to chatting with you all! (And today is day one on the site, so please pardon any awkwardness I have while I adjust!)

- Avarnis

(Here are some examples! I have different styles, but will stick to one for the adopts and another for the extra art. For any that have 'Bari' on it, it was my old pen name "Baritius" and I changed to Avarnis in the last few months. So Ava/Nissy are new names for me.)

( Above image uses a pre-made background for the group the character is in! Please do not consider it, it's also a lineless style that I'm playing around on, most likely will not be used on art offered. Posting these two so you can get an idea of character builds/designs i've done for myself )

(The above image uses a pre-made background, however the chair was drawn by me! The pattern on the clothes was also created, but sometimes approved to use patterns are used in my art)

( The above image offers a nearly finished WIP of some of what I'd like to call 'flexing' where I put a lot of time and effort into the image. This would end up being top tier in auction offers. It takes quite a while to do this sort of detailing. I own this art, but do not own the character.)

( This could easily be offered as an option for auctions. It takes less time as the fully colored, and would have pops of colors to highlight set details. I own this art, but do not own the character.)

( The above is older art, but it is to show the range of which I can produce visually while still keeping in the humaniod range. I would most likely offer such heavy fantasy based humaniods where they are less on the human and more on what ever they are merged with as sets, and pre-advertise them as specials to come out, maybe one heavy per set of humaniods announced. {The shirt was made via a googled shirt copied and pasted then altered to fit the shirt I was making, I would attempt to do designs myself in the future. As a younger artist, this was my answer to making that shirt happen} This character is not my character, but was made by me as a gift for another person. I made this art, but do not own the character.)

Sorry the post got so long! Wanted to make sure you had examples to base interest levels off of! (and also giving disclaimers of what was mine and what was others)

PeterPan_da144

Stew Aficionado
D
Supporter
You know I'd buy a bajillion things from you xD

I do really love your head shots like a lot though. And the mermaid taaaaaaail

Avarnis

Station Visitor
D
haha, well thank you!

Maybe head shots are the best sort of extra... or like fast auctions where you only get like a bust? And you can come back later for a full character design.

Could possibly start with a shop that's just head shot commissions... -squints- idk where to start... aaah why is this so hard???
You know I'd buy a bajillion things from you xD

I do really love your head shots like a lot though. And the mermaid taaaaaaail

PeterPan_da144

Stew Aficionado
D
Supporter
I feel like head shots, or something smaller and less detailed than what you are used to is a good way to start. It'll also help you get back into your art groove, cause I know that's been knocked askew recently. I like the idea of offering the eggs that grow into something! It can be used for adopt shops or breedable shops, though I doubt you want to do breedables xD

haha, well thank you!

Maybe head shots are the best sort of extra... or like fast auctions where you only get like a bust? And you can come back later for a full character design.

Could possibly start with a shop that's just head shot commissions... -squints- idk where to start... aaah why is this so hard???

Avarnis

Station Visitor
D
I feel like head shots, or something smaller and less detailed than what you are used to is a good way to start. It'll also help you get back into your art groove, cause I know that's been knocked askew recently. I like the idea of offering the eggs that grow into something! It can be used for adopt shops or breedable shops, though I doubt you want to do breedables xD
yeah, it's for sure something that i have to figure out... I know of several different types of shops that people have. Like you can buy ingredients and then mix them together to make an oc? Kinda to customize them but not customize them... but I don't want anything too complicated to start out with. Jut know I'd like to do something! I've seen people use all sorts of 'egg' styles to give a tease or advertise whats going to come, and then either auction happens on the 'egg' or on the piece after its shown off.

using the same base, building different body types to host the designs on, will take a lot of the pressure away. And if I've made the base myself, then I don't have to credit anyone else in the art.

Headshots to start off with are a more simple step, and offer more unique designs. Sometimes I struggle drawing other peoples stuff though, so not sure if that's where I want to start? Or if doing adopts just lets my mind go wild where ever I want and throw them up for offers.

PeterPan_da144

Stew Aficionado
D
Supporter
@Avarnis definitely!! Adopts are a great way to just, get into the feel of art and have totally free reign. Adopts could be sold the 'egg' way you described, or as head shots! Whatever comes to you :p I think that getting a base down is definitely the first step towards all of this, though. That way you can have a simpler base to show people, and then you can start thinking up other traits to either define different races, or just have as variants! Loooooong ears like World of Warcraft Elves, regular Tolkein Elven ears, finned ears so they can have fish like people, furrier ears on top of the head or even on the side. Tails, basic clothes, wings. Even horns! Heck, I'd say even make a base, and then put a couple of our characters on them as different examples! Since we have some regular people, some animal people, some demon people, etc : 3

Avarnis

Station Visitor
D
@PeterPan_da144

that's a good idea... haha XD We do have a good mix. And I have a few OC's that need updated looks as well. I just have to figure out where things are starting... and hopefully get some more feed back from those on the site that would be looking into things.

Avarnis

Station Visitor
D
-thonkers upon what the shop could offer, or could be, if it'll be lore based to allow an easy in for people rping... or if it'll just be like 'here you go have fun'-

PeterPan_da144

Stew Aficionado
D
Supporter
@Avarnis a lot of people here love lore!!! You could have several different races and lore for each one!! and when you get big enough, you can make a group and have different sub sections, like a Gaia guild, and allow people to roleplay the characters with others in the universe!! just make sure to establish a difference from the beginning on if you want it to just be adoptables, or adopt/breedables, since breedables opens up the option to take two characters and mate them in some fashion, combining their designs to make something new. I'm sure you know about those though so idk why I'm ranting about it ajksdgbliaefvb;

Avarnis

Station Visitor
D
@PeterPan_da144

I just put on my test forum the idea of making it lore based so I can have more rp buddies -ugly laughs at my increasing need for rps-

like release a new 'world' in the realms each month that i have adopts out, have it just for that realm for a few months, then for a few months after, have a mix of new from any of the realms open up. And then keep adding realms as time goes on.

Add MYO's to where you can purchase the rights to make one? Not sure if that's a good option for people here though.. but at least open up more customs to where someone can say this body base, from this realm, with this color scheme, and these features for x amount of dollars. And so more and more are mixed in to the works. ya know?

PeterPan_da144

Stew Aficionado
D
Supporter
You could always do the CYO if you want! With a simpler base that is just the base (unless you wanted to make and add smaller edits they can choose from), you can go events where you allow people to color their own little plushies or small chibis and use them for customs from you! Either using RLC or Basilisk Stew credits, however you end up wanting do to it. But I know I've shown you the plushie base before from the Pony shop I am in. They give that out as a way for people to color and make cute shit for their friends, and gift them out, which then allows that person to input it for a custom in hopes of getting it turned into a pony!

Avarnis

Station Visitor
D
@PeterPan_da144

oooh that's an idea... since i'll already have the bases drawn up.... I can offer for the realm of the month for people to do their own colors.

Either eggs or as you said a small chibi/plushie style. herm herm herm so many ideas man....

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
🐸

Have you been involved in other adopts before? Lore heavy ones I mean - you could check out some of the shops available on here just to get some more ideas - and since you mentioned an rp desire, it gives quick access to other people with interest in it. I promise I won't shill my own, though we have humanoids too.

I will say that if you're not looking for consistency (as most large breedable type shops tend to always be full body references), casual adopts vs a full shop concept would be an easier way to go. There's nothing stopping you from just selling concepts as is! Either way, welcome to the site and I hope you enjoy yourself. o uo/

🐸

Avarnis

Station Visitor
D
I'd be interested!
Aaaaah happy to hear! Would you prefer lore too or just open concepts?

🐸

Have you been involved in other adopts before? Lore heavy ones I mean - you could check out some of the shops available on here just to get some more ideas - and since you mentioned an rp desire, it gives quick access to other people with interest in it. I promise I won't shill my own, though we have humanoids too.

I will say that if you're not looking for consistency (as most large breedable type shops tend to always be full body references), casual adopts vs a full shop concept would be an easier way to go. There's nothing stopping you from just selling concepts as is! Either way, welcome to the site and I hope you enjoy yourself. o uo/

🐸
I did see your shop!

I haven't done much with adopts at all, which is why I was trying to figure out where to start. I have however ran rp's that I have created. So making Lore isn't hard for me. It's how best to set up a shop!

I would also like to make new friends and not just 'customers' so that's where the lore for rping was an idea. I did try once with an application to be a guest artist on another site, for one of the custom species ran on that site (was passed up, but i'm okay with that because I'm proud I took a step to actually try to get into the adopt world).

I really don't know the best way to go about it. To start with the lore, or just go with different themes or races with each batch. Which is what I'm hoping this thread can help me out with.

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
🐸

That's why I suggested joining another, to maybe get a feel for how they're run, and also to make some friends in the local community! X3 Usually though i'd say start with the lore - you want to be consistent with yourself, so it's important to get that information settled before you start, so you don't have to go back and retcon and make changes later, you know what I mean? o vo It also gives you something to start designing FOR.
🐸
Aaaaah happy to hear! Would you prefer lore too or just open concepts?

I did see your shop!

I haven't done much with adopts at all, which is why I was trying to figure out where to start. I have however ran rp's that I have created. So making Lore isn't hard for me. It's how best to set up a shop!

I would also like to make new friends and not just 'customers' so that's where the lore for rping was an idea. I did try once with an application to be a guest artist on another site, for one of the custom species ran on that site (was passed up, but i'm okay with that because I'm proud I took a step to actually try to get into the adopt world).

I really don't know the best way to go about it. To start with the lore, or just go with different themes or races with each batch. Which is what I'm hoping this thread can help me out with.

Avarnis

Station Visitor
D
🐸

That's why I suggested joining another, to maybe get a feel for how they're run, and also to make some friends in the local community! X3 Usually though i'd say start with the lore - you want to be consistent with yourself, so it's important to get that information settled before you start, so you don't have to go back and retcon and make changes later, you know what I mean? o vo It also gives you something to start designing FOR.
🐸
Yeah! I understand the need for consistent lore. XD

I don't know where to be a guest artist that I can also get paid for my work though. Because that's my goal, is paid work, not just credits.
I've tried to be a guest artist for only one group so far. It's really scary to put yourself out there to try and be like 'do you like my stuff or not'

more so when you feel like you only know half of what there is to know because of knowing people and locations that have done stuff, but no actual experience yourself.

I have experiences making, owning and running rps.
Or like... shops for other items that are like site items.
But never my art, and never art based off lore. (Though have started to build visuals for an art based rp... though I doubt that counts)

I do think I need to really settle on if I"m ready to commit to a full blown lore and art thing.
Or just do the art for now, and maybe do more lore related sells later.

I honestly have no probs dishing out lore and connecting dots. XD
Just trying to gauge which would be best to jump into as a first shop.
And it's looking to be a non-lore based one most likely... [unless, as you said, I get hired on for a different group, but i can only do like the examples above, and not sure where that would fit in, but also haven't really had a chance to look around just yet)

I'm just really happy that so far it seems to be a positive view of maybe having a spot on the page. Talking in some friend sand the local community. Q uQ Been looking for a new art hang out spot. Hoping to have found it.

(Also sorry I'm really long winded right now, I just am super tired, and trying to make sure I cover all the I's and dot all the T's...)