Threads:

Latest posts

Group events

Warriors: Cats of the Sun

[META] Phase One - Into the Trees

belloblossom

Stew Aficionado
D

Branchtail had considered what Fogmoth had said with a smile and was moving to reply when he was called up on ahead. Taking care not to rustle the branches underfoot, he moved to stand next to Talonfang and raised his mouth to catch the scents that were being pushed towards them.

"It's a StoneClan patrol." He said, shock and outrage mingling in his mew. "Why on earth would they be -" But there it was, the scent of fresh prey blood. Oh, well that just wouldn't do. He closed his eyes and dug his claws hard into the branch, causing some bark to splinter off and fall onto the grass below. "If we go in claws out without hearing their reason for hunting on our grounds, then we may wage a war - that's leader business. Let's hear them out, but we need to leave the impression that this won't happen again. Whatever happens today, gets reported directly to Sunflight and Riversong - they can come out of the Nursery to hear this."

Nodding for Talonfang to follow and expecting him to lead the patrol behind them, Branchtail leaped from one tree to another, walking along the branches with careful control and precision, before he was sitting on a tree that faced out on the clearing where he could look down upon the four StoneClan cats who had entered his territory. One, a particularly thick-furred she-cat with no tail that he could see from this distance, had been prowling especially close to the tree line.

"Halt, StoneClan trespassers!" Branchtail's deep yowl was hard to ignore. "State your business for hunting in TreeClan's territory! What you do now is against the Warrior Code and we will defend our lands if you have no reason beyond the filling of bellies!" Branchtail's eyes looked from the thick-furred she-cat to the ones beyond, taking note of what each of them looked like. He hoped that Viperfang was above him somewhere, doing the same. None of these cats had been on the journey down the mountain, but Branchtail did reason that TreeClan had grown since the journey down themselves. Strangers to him or not, he would hear what they had to say, though he would've much preferred this patrol to have been routine.

belloblossom

Stew Aficionado
D

Snarlpaw had smiled good-naturedly at Flashpaw when she'd failed to catch a second piece of prey, only to sigh a little when Twistpaw did the same.
"I think it's time to head back home." She was telling the patrol - her patrol. "We can come back again later, but this is a great start. You all did really wel-" She cut off her mew at the sound of a booming voice from atop the trees and she spun around, dropping her prey from her mouth and moving to step in front of it. Mousedung! Of course TreeClan had to show up now! Just when her trio of cats were showing so much promise!

Glancing around at her other hunters, she tried to set her nerve. She was the one who brought them out here, she wouldn't turn tail and leave now. She thought of her father, Legend and how he always fought bravely to protect the family unit. Maybe if she played this right, she could leave with their lives and the prey they'd come here. She just had to... fidget with the truth a little. And sacrifice some of her pride.

Getting caught by these tree-lovers is sacrificing my pride as it is. She thought bitterly, before she stepped back, exposing the two mice that she'd caught on the territory to the brown and white tabby. She had to crane her neck back in order to see him properly.

"You're right, that we are here to fill our bellies - I'm sorry that it's come to such a drastic decision on my part. My name is Snarlpaw, apprentice of StoneClan. I led my Clanmates here. StoneClan grows every moon and with its growth we have more mouths to feed." She had made this argument to the cats who she brought here before, but she felt less certain in the face of a TreeClan patrol, even if she couldn't see the rest of the patrol - could it be that there was only this one tabby tomcat out and she was getting worked up over nothing at all? She took a breath.

"I was under the assumption that TreeClan had prey to spare - it's unheard of that you would come to the ground to hunt, but... I apologize all the same. I just wanted to ensure that my Clan was fed, that our kits got enough food to last them through the upcoming moons with harsher seasons." She mewed up at the tomcat. "Please... I have often heard stories about how TreeClan and StoneClan were friendly upon their departure," Not entirely a lie - she'd heard rumors that Sunflight and Littleflower were kin, so maybe by some stretch Sunflight and Sunseer could also be kin? Snarlpaw had no idea if any of these rumors were true, but maybe it would be enough. "If you let us leave, with the prey that we caught, StoneClan will not set paw on TreeClan territory again - we will remember your show of faith and... and..." She coughed, her mew sounding raspy.

Snarlpaw's voice was growing hoarse from all the talking she was doing, but she didn't want to incriminate any of the other cats who she'd brought with her today. Let this cat remember the name Snarlpaw and none else. She couldn't think of a convincing finishing statement. Were all of her fancy words enough to smooth over a conflict before it really started? @Blinded By Silence @NatiStorm @PeterPan_da144 @Umbrefox @pyrrh @I--LiveWire--I

I--LiveWire--I

Grizzled Veteran
D

Honeypaw bobbed her head in acknowledgement of her orders as she confidently followed the lead up into the trees. She was proud that there was barely a flutter in her stomach as she glanced back down at the ground as she walked with a focused determination in her eyes. All that practice with Dappleleaf was totally paying off.

As they walked she happily engaged in chatter with her younger fellow apprentice. Using the distraction to, ironically, help her stay focused. The small talk took her mind off her worries and allowed the rest of her mind to truly be open to her surroundings.
She still however didn't pick up the sight or smell of the intruders until they were warned by Talonfang. Taking a deeper sniff while her eyes scanned the grasses below she noticed the other clan sent.
She crouched a low soft rumble escaped her as she crouched flicking her tail and staring down at the invaders from the cover of the leaves.

She waited next to Poplarpaw in silence listening to Branchtail and this invader that called themselves Snarlpaw converse. She wasn't a violent cat by nature but this was her new home and she was filled with eagerness to defend it and prove herself valuable to the ones that had been willing to give her a chance.

PeterPan_da144

Stew Aficionado
D
Supporter

Viperfang had heard the chattering cats at the same moment as Talonfang. A hiss erupted from her, and she was about to just launch herself down at the cats... But Talonfang instructed her otherwise. Narrowed eyes, tail lashed, but she dipped her head respectfully and hopped across the branch, sailing across a small gap to another tree, and continuing on to swoop around behind the patrol. Around the edge of the clearing through the branches, as nimble as a squirrel, barely making a sound to alert them to anything larger than said squirrel. She could see her clanmates across the clearing as Branchtail initiated interaction.

A sneer flashed across her face as one of the StoneClan cats so brazenly admitted to stealing prey from their territory. Without waiting for Branchtail to reply to the biggest cat's words, Viperfang pushed her way through the leaves and stood. Staring down at the patrol from behind. Tail lashing.

"Regardless of where we hunt, whether it fully in the trees, on the ground, or a combination of both - You have trespassed on our land. If Sunseer has taken in too many mouths to feed, that's on him." Her tail lashed again, claws flexing against the bark beneath her paws.

"He should have come himself to see Sunflight and speak of such things."​

belloblossom

Stew Aficionado
D

Branchtail, despite himself, laughed outright.
Apprentices are getting more audacious by the day! He thought when this Snarlpaw openly admitted to hunting on their territory. Hearig Viperfang's scornful mew above, he nodded. Sunseer had clearly bitten off more than he could chew with allowing just any cat into his Clan. More mouths to feed and not a lick of respect in them either, it seemed!

"Your admittance of your wrongdoing may be bold, but it will not give you any ease in this patrol!" He bellowed to the she-cat down below. He glanced back at Talonfang, but when no response was forthcoming, he cast his gaze back down onto the intruders. "Indeed - let Sunseer come speak for himself and his mistakes in letting any cat into his lands. Leave the prey you caught on the ground before you, in the territory it was caught in and run home to your leader. Tell him to speak for himself rather than sending others to trespass on his behalf." Branchtail commanded from the trees and then added in a more menacing growl, which he hoped projected from the tree he was perched on.

"If he sends more apprentices to hunt in his place, then prepare for retaliation. Once is a mistake, but TreeClan will not let this oversight happen without punishment again." At least, he hoped not, but Snarlpaw of PoserClan couldn't possibly see the doubt within Branchtail as he wondered how his usually peaceful leaders would handle such a slight. "Away with you!" He yowled from the trees. As he watched the StoneClan cats begin to disperse, he mewed back to the patrol in place of Talonfang, who had remained quiet. That was fine, Branchtail would be the talker - Talonfang the fighter.

"Viperfang, watch them and make sure they all get across the border without dawdling or theft." He mewed to the she-cat. "Poplarpaw, Honeypaw and Fogmoth move down into the trees and remark the scent markers. No cat or predator will be able to ignore where our territory is this time." He looked over his shoulder to Talonfang and leaped over onto his branch. "Let's go retrieve the prey they caught and we'll head back early. Sunflight and Riversong will need to hear about this." He said to his fellow warrior. @PeterPan_da144 @Umbrefox @I--LiveWire--I @NatiStorm

belloblossom

Stew Aficionado
D

Snarlpaw forced her fluffy mane to lay flat, repressed every urge in her to bristle under the laugh of the tomcat who sat higher in the trees. Okay, fine, this wasn't at all how she wanted this patrol to turn out, but this wasn't the end of the world. She ducked her ears and backed away from the prey, growling her frustrations under her breath.

"It was bad luck that the TreeClan patrol showed when they did." She mewed softly as she passed Twistpaw. "But look, we're walking away, no harm done." She added to Yarrowbloom. "They wouldn't start a war over prey, they don't have it in them." She whispered to Flashpaw and then sighed. "This could've gone better, but there's no reason to tell Sunseer about this anyway. It would just bring more stress to his life. If we let this go, TreeClan will forget about it and so can we, no reason to actually bring this to the leadership." She mewed quietly to the others.

Besides, Snarlpaw's mind was already churning. Maybe she'd just keep an eye on the TreeClan patrols a little more. It really was just bad luck that another patrol came out at the exact moment thtat StoneClan had crossed over, but all the prey they'd had... she was out of sorts about having to leave it there, but there would be other chances.

"We'll have another chance to prove ourselves." She mewed to the others in her group. "You'll see, we'll be able to do right by our Clan and get our names and the recognition we deserve."

belloblossom

Stew Aficionado
D
Phase One is OVER!

Phase One of the Meta has been concluded! If you would like to make a finishing reply for any of the participants in this thread, you may do so! This thread will be open for those finishing replies until the Sign Ups for Phase Two are closed on July 19th! After that date, no further replies can be made in this thread!

All the cats who participated in this meta can use this rp to generate 1DP!​