Animal Country: Big City

[ORP] Warm Weather Celebrations

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
Despite still being so early in the year, Big City's proximity to the nearby ocean always helped usher in warm weather quickly; even so, this year was proving to be a particularly hot one - already the clear skies and bright sun were beaming down dazzling rays to heat the air to unpleasant levels. Such weather brought joy from some and grumbles from others, but there was one thing many could agree on: it was beach weather again!

"D'ya think anyone's gonna come out this year?"

Down on a stretch of the pristine coast, two young sharks were taking advantage of the sunny weather to set up some sort of pavilion on the sands. Though the sun wasn't even fully in the sky, yet, the smaller of their pair took a break from dragging chairs down from a nearby truck parked higher up on the main road to plunge his hand into a haphazardly settled cooler to dig around for an ice-cold cola. His fins twitched in irritation as he pawed through the healthier options his companion piled on top - who wanted to drink water or Crocade on a day like this?

"Why wouldn't they? They come out every year, right?"

"Well, it's only our third year..."

Nearby, the taller of the pair rolled his eyes before turning his attention back to the task at hand. He shifted his grip on the rubber mallet he'd been working with, giving a final blow to the second metal pole he'd been driving into the ground. That done, he simply tossed the tool near the blissfully sheltering tent they'd been slowly amassing a handful of portable tables and seats under, then shuffled towards the nearby grill to check on his work. He was greeted with a billowing cloud of deliciously scented smoke as he peeked, then paused to reach below and mop the hunks of meat-fruit within with the delightfully flavored sauce hanging crookedly below the cooker.

"No one can resist my barbecue, Droby, don't you worry. Now c'mon, help me get the sign up; there's gonna be some hungry people out soon and I wanna feed 'em."

Begrudgingly, the smaller shark nodded, though he certainly did drag his tail as he shuffled towards the truck to drag out the large, vinyl roll and carry it back to the site. Why it was his job, he didn't know - why did he always get stuck doing the hard work? But the complaints calmed in his head as he caught wind of the delicious meal his partner was working on; right - he couldn't cook, but he was good for labor and sales. It was a good arrangement, especially during their outings!

"Got it!"

"A'ight, I'm comin'."

So the two worked to stretch the roll out and hook it onto the two poles, each giving an excited grin to the other as they stepped back to admire the colorful display. It was a lot of efforts, but these sorts of days always brought in customers - and sometimes, they'd even get repeats.

Big City Barbecue Annual Beach Party
Full Plates Only 5BCC!
Free Drinks | Free Music
One free drink per person

sharkberrypizza

🍓 Like, nya, you know?
D
Staff member
Tech-Priest
Admin
"Hey boys ... am I really one of the first in line?"

What a stroke of luck that was! Frankie was always kept so busy, what with owning one of Big City's - no, Anamalia's - premier amusement parks and all, that he rarely had time to sneak away for some relaxing times and a breath of fresh air; that he'd wandered up to a party of all things was nothing short of a particularly painful miracle. Still, it wasn't like he was going to complain - even if there was the ambiance of something he wanted to escape, he'd recognize the delicious aroma of that pair's barbecue anywhere.

He hired them for his own in-park festivities, after all!

"You expecting a big crowd here today?" he queried as he fished around for that small bit of plastic kept carefully on his person at all times, and the portly axolotl's gills twitched with his internal excitement as he leaned forward to pay, squishing the sand between his toes.

FrostyPeaches

Long-Term Resident
D

The smell of burning coal lingered in the air. Terry knew right away that it was a BBQ but whether he had been to one of these events before he could not remember.

Before reaching the interesting looking setup, the burger flippin' rabbit had quickly shoved the remaining bites of his WacDonald's hamburger with both hands into his mouth and chewed as fast as he could before swallowing.

"So, this looks interesting," he spoke, as he approached the tent, while his breath smelled like grease and greasy cooked beef... But it didn't bother him one bit if others could smell his stinky WcD breath. He loves that place and is proud to be part of their team.

Pointing at the sign, he asked the sad looking shark with a sharp grin : Full plates for only 5BCC..is that done by you guys or could I jigsaw pyramid my two plates full of barbecued goodies until i can't add more?"

Last edited:

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
"Heyyy, it's Frankie! What're you doin' out of your office? Secretary let you off the hook for once?"

The sight of one of their favorite customers - and employers - had the taller shark in a wide grin as he turned from his food prep work, by then having moved on to checking the wide trays of sides steaming in a secondary cooker, to the familiar axolotl.

"We're hoping to see a lotta people, you know it, but yep, you're the first one today. Got out a lil' late, but we're hopin' to catch the lunch crowd, ya know?"

The chef-slash-businessman wasn't one to hesitate, though, and he snagged that offered card with gusto and a particularly toothy grin before digging into his pocket for his phone - already pre-equipped with s card scanner, of course!

"Brisket sandwich, half a smoked sausage, and a pile 'o coleslaw for ya again?"

A bit away, the shorter shark laughed, though that sad-shaped expression crinkled into an amused grin at the newcomer's question. He set the final chair into place, then settled one hand on his hip, waving the other in a teasing taunt.

"We do it, yeah, but I'll give you extra for that kinda sneaky thinking," he offered, before brightening further as his fins piqued in interest. He might have seemed a little morose at times, but both of them were quite friendly in the right environment - smiles brought in more customers, after all!

"You wanna try a bite? First bite's on the house~"

His grin pulled wider, showing more of the rows of sharp teeth behind - quite an offer from a shark.

@ֆɦǟʀӄɮɛʀʀʏ🍕 @FrostyPeaches

DakotaSpine

Long-Term Resident
D

-Fifi-

With hand paws placed gingerly over her chest, a female cat approaches the site of billowing, delicious barbeque smoke spiraling into the air.

She arrived on the beach, wearing little brown sandals over her cream paws for the occasion. There seemed to be quite a crowd gathering already! Looking between the four current participants near the barbeque. As a new resident she might as well adjust herself to her new surroundings and her new peers.
She focused in on the two sharks who were running the event, now watching the shorter one with a soft expression, admiring their black and blue pattern. It wasn't a very analytical expression, but one of curiosity.

She didn't open conversation, but she made her way to the pavilion and sat herself down on the seat nearest to the edge of the building. Closely watching those in line converse, smelling the goodies on the grill. She wasn't quite hungry yet, but... the smoky scent would get her there, surely~

sharkberrypizza

🍓 Like, nya, you know?
D
Staff member
Tech-Priest
Admin
"Aw, you remembered~" the axolotl teased back just as quickly, though without a doubt ever watching that card and the process as a whole.

"But that fox, I'm tellin' you! They're gonna be the end of me, always trying to keep me busy with this needs repaired or we need to order supplies for the concession stands ... what do they think, I run a big business to do all the work myself?"

With a dramatic sigh the sloshy citizen leaned to one side, though the smirk that threatened to overtake more than the edge of his wide mouth told what he really thought of it all. It was good to keep busy, but more than that every inch of that park was his baby, and it was worth the effect every time he brought a smile to anyone's face.

It was only when the card was tucked back in its place securely that Frankie caught the newcomer further away, and after an exchanged glance with his sharp-toothed friend and a perhaps overly friendly head tilt toward the rabbit that had wandered up, he waved toward the cream-coloured cat.

"You should try somethin' here - won't be disappointed!"

DakotaSpine

Long-Term Resident
D
-Fifi-

The cat's eyes perked up, as did her ears as she was quickly addressed.

"Oh! I do plan to, I just wanted to... take everything in for a moment" She let out a solemn giggle, conceding to her thoughts, "Everything around here is so new, but a party is just what the doctor ordered I think~"

She smiled, her expression somewhere between bashful and comforted by the warm welcome. She stood up and approached the sloshy axolotl, only stopping once they were stood right beside them. She eyed the grill and the delicious food being cooked up, and then back to the 'bubbly' pink resident

"So, mix. What's your deal?~" She give a wink and a little cock of the head, setting a peppy cream hand on her right hip. She was quickly getting back into the social swing~
"Your name, what you're doin' here. It's good to meet new people, might as well start now, mix~"

Last edited:

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
"Hah, what a thought, that you oughta do some work yourself. The nerve, I'm tellin' ya."

The shark, in turn, snickered at his friend - he couldn't do the job the axolotl did himself, he was certain of it. It was hard enough running the joint he was in charge of, and some days that felt like too much when the crowds ran long and his patience ran thin. Right then, though, he wasn't in the mood to argue, and with the phone tucked neatly away he snagged a thick, plastic plate from a portable shelf and opened the grill once more - this time to procure the mouth-watering goods that were requested.

His fins lifted at the mention of someone else and the sound of a new voice, however, and it was with a broad, welcoming - if sharp - smile that he turned once that hefty plate was filled.

"Look at you, Frankie, always the center of attention, ain't ya?" he teased, moving away from the cook area to carry the plate to one of the tables for the bubbly pink creature. A moment later and he offered a playful wink to the newcomer, followed by a friendly wave as he returned to his station.

"Hang around as long as you'd like, miss, and if you get hungry - first bite's free~ Just don't let him bore you senseless with all that business talk~"

DakotaSpine

Long-Term Resident
D
-Fifi-

She awaited a response from the fizzy axolotl, but at the same time... the new voice rang through and met her ears, turning her attention towards the source. It seemed to take her just a moment, but quickly she looked and found the shark.

"Ohmygooosh, you're precious!~" She swooned loudly. Her eyes twinkled and she looked like she was about to shed a tear from smiling so hard. Seeing the colorful little shark walk by and deliver the plate to the table, and then begin walking back.

She cupped her hands under her chin, smiling ear to ear. It was her way of working her way into the conversation, it seemed~
"C'mon, introduce me!~" She did her best to split her attention