Everchange

▷ New Years' Delusion

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
Something is rotten in the state of... Everchange.

Well, perhaps not rotten, but certainly wrong. At least, that's what some odd ponies seem to think; doctors are calling this strange new disorder some form of magical group hallucination, but they can't quite pinpoint what's causing it or where it came from. In truth, there's not even any signs of magic on the sufferers, though there's also no sign of other illness - no virus, no bacteria, no fungus writhing in the depths of their brain... Ostensibly, it's agreed on that there's nothing notably wrong with the sufferers, yet their thoughts are obviously unsettled!

Unless you ask the sufferers themselves, of course - the whole issue itself. Each and every one thinks it's not them that's ill, but the world. Outlandish claims bubble up from those suffering from the "New Year's Delusion": things like certain ponies looking alien and strange (when they obviously are not!), certain breeds not existing (when clearly they do!), and entire passages of history being incorrect or false.

Medical and magical professionals alike are uncertain how to handle this new development, though they're hard at work trying to find a cure for those poor souls. Of course, it's truly unknown how many have been afflicted by the disease; while there are some that have completely snapped, leading to the wider publication of the affliction, many suspect there may be countless others simply keeping their silence on the matter. It wouldn't be surprising, experts say - after all, how would any sane person react to waking up to what they believe is an entirely changed world?

One thing is certain though: everyone hopes this strange madness will come to an end quickly and its tarnish can be removed from an otherwise brilliant start to another new year. It's such a terrible condition to think about...

---

On the flip side of the coin are the sufferers - the ones who know the truth. These ponies aren't sick, they'll tell you, apart from perhaps living in shock or horror at the world they see around them. No, they're not sick, they just remember. They remember the Sphere, that wretched thing they speak of in hushed tones; they remember the world as it was, and they can still see the fragments of what used to be.

They know those strangers didn't exist; no noolah ever first bounced down the mountainside to greet the rest of the world, and no slimes ever bubbled up from the rocks to greet their neighbors. They know that mers are mers and aquatics are aquatics and all this polpo and seabell and reefhopper and lakeskimmer nonsense is garbage! They know that ryujin are lungs, and they're just wingless dragons.

More than that, they recognize the strangers. They can see the differences that others, somehow, for whatever reason, can't. They see those ponies-that-aren't, the ones who look different, whose legs and bodies and heads and ears and everything therein are just different. Not so different they could be called aliens, but different enough to not be the same - something that most, apparently, can't see. Even when the differences are pointed out to them directly, they just shake their heads and laugh it off. How can they not see? How can they not understand that they are being erased?

The "New Year's Delusion" isn't a delusion at all - it is a glitch, a spark of something that shouldn't have been. When the Resolution Sphere broke, the world changed, and most changed with it. Memories and experiences warped to fit this new reality which, ostensibly, is reality now. Yet with any great change comes... bugs. In this case, it's ponies who, for lack of a better term, didn't get rewritten properly. Bits and pieces - memories - of what used to be still exist, even though those realities are no longer real.

It's not very common; while it's certainly made the news, it is actually quite rare, though not as rare as people think. Most aren't driven to insanity from it - it's simply a part of their lives now, however strange or terrifying it might be. Some are drawn to seclusion from it, others seem to be embracing this chance at a new existence.

And you? Well, perhaps one of your ponies is afflicted with this strange memory of what no-longer-is. This is the place you can try and find out.

astralprogenitor

late to the party
D
Staff member
Admin
Designer
Rolling for New Year's Delusion is very straightforward. You post the form for the pony you want to try with and roll the appropriate number. If you hit the target, your pony can remember what life was like before the Resolution Sphere cracked. If not, they remember nothing from before and also see no major differences between new and old lined ponies.

Please note, the following are the effects of NYD:
  • Remembering the Resolution Sphere's existence.
  • Remembering breeds as they were before the change.
  • Seeing a physical difference between new and old lined ponies.

These are not effects of NYD / the Resolution Sphere change:
  • Forced backstory changes. (Everything that happened to your ponies previously is fine, they just now had knowledge of different breeds!)
  • Body changes. (No ponies on old lines will be redone. All ponies are the same as they were! Only new ponies are new.)

Only old line ponies may have NYD. All new line ponies were "written into" existence at the time of the Sphere crack, so they have no old memories to interfere with new. Their existences are totally valid and you may plot them as you would any other ponies! It's simply they have no "previous timeline" to cause problems.

Rules:
  • Only old line ponies may be rolled for.
  • Post once per pony you're rolling for. Each pony may only roll once per owner.
  • If a pony who has never rolled for NYD is traded, the new owner may roll for it.
  • If a pony who failed to roll NYD is traded, the new owner may roll for them if they've never tried for that pony before. (Passing a pony back and forth is cheating and not allowed. Once per owner!)
  • If a pony who successfully rolled NYD is traded, the new owner may invalidate/remove the NYD if they wish. This counts as their 'roll slot' for that pony.
  • Do not edit your post. Staff can see edits; editing a post here will get you greylisted from the feature for three months. If you make a mistake, simply post your form again with corrections. This is to prevent pony swapping and will be taken very seriously.
  • The dice to roll is 1d20.
  • The goal is to roll 13.

Rolling to Remember
Code:
[center][b]Rolling to Remember[/b][/center]
[b]Pony[/b]: (link cert)

[i]I understand that if I roll the goal, my pony will remember before the Sphere's changes. If I fail, they cannot remember anything about it. Either way, I may not revoke this decision.[/i]
Begging to Forget
Code:
[center][b]Begging to Forget[/b][/center]
[b]Pony[/b]: (link cert)

[i]I understand that by posting this request, I am changing this newly-obtained pony to not have NYD. I understand I cannot change my mind later and this pony will not remember anything about the world before the Sphere's changes while they still belong to me.[/i]

Cheyriddle4

Grizzled Veteran
D
Dice Rolled:
🎲d20 2 2
Rolling to Remember
Pony: Nalani

I understand that if I roll the goal, my pony will remember before the Sphere's changes. If I fail, they cannot remember anything about it. Either way, I may not revoke this decision.

Cheyriddle4

Grizzled Veteran
D
Dice Rolled:
🎲d20 6 6
Rolling to Remember
Pony: Pastella

I understand that if I roll the goal, my pony will remember before the Sphere's changes. If I fail, they cannot remember anything about it. Either way, I may not revoke this decision.

Cheyriddle4

Grizzled Veteran
D
Dice Rolled:
🎲d20 2 2
Rolling to Remember
Pony: Spring Breeze

Cheyriddle4

Grizzled Veteran
D
Dice Rolled:
🎲d20 19 19
Rolling to Remember
Pony: Vera Colette

Cheyriddle4

Grizzled Veteran
D
Dice Rolled:
🎲d20 16 16
Rolling to Remember
Pony: Valistan

Cheyriddle4

Grizzled Veteran
D
Dice Rolled:
🎲d20 18 18
Rolling to Remember
Pony: Harper Lee

Cheyriddle4

Grizzled Veteran
D
Dice Rolled:
🎲d20 15 15
Rolling to Remember
Pony: Arawn

Cheyriddle4

Grizzled Veteran
D
Dice Rolled:
🎲d20 5 5
Rolling to Remember
Pony: Jess Khepri

Cheyriddle4

Grizzled Veteran
D
Dice Rolled:
🎲d20 12 12
Rolling to Remember
Pony: Darth Snarl

Cheyriddle4

Grizzled Veteran
D
Dice Rolled:
🎲d20 13 13
Rolling to Remember
Pony: Mabuz

Cheyriddle4

Grizzled Veteran
D
Dice Rolled:
🎲d20 10 10
Rolling to Remember
Pony: Crim

Cheyriddle4

Grizzled Veteran
D
Dice Rolled:
🎲d20 6 6
Rolling to Remember
Pony: Pierre

Cheyriddle4

Grizzled Veteran
D
Dice Rolled:
🎲d20 9 9
Rolling to Remember
Pony: Murdoch

Cheyriddle4

Grizzled Veteran
D
Dice Rolled:
🎲d20 4 4
Rolling to Remember
Pony: Sepia Hue

Cheyriddle4

Grizzled Veteran
D
Dice Rolled:
🎲d20 17 17
Rolling to Remember
Pony: Draxx

Cheyriddle4

Grizzled Veteran
D
Dice Rolled:
🎲d20 2 2
Rolling to Remember
Pony: Izy

Cheyriddle4

Grizzled Veteran
D
Dice Rolled:
🎲d20 19 19
Rolling to Remember
Pony: Pri