Group statistics

Members:
Threads:

Latest posts

Group events

Warriors: Cats of the Sun

[PRP] Grumpy-Puss (Treebark/Nettlepaw/Watch)

belloblossom

Stew Aficionado
D

Jolene - No, wait, it was Nettlepaw now, was having a hard time adjusting to Clan life. Ha! If she was honest with herself, from the moment she'd been born into the world, she'd really had a hard time adjusting to life, period. The life she came from, the life of a kittypet, leaving her perfect mother and her perfect sister and her perfect kits behind... the memories of her past and her choices would haunt her until she found her place in the ground. That's one thing that she appreciated about LostClan: they didn't believe in a wishy-washy afterlife. It sounded like their fellow Clan cats believed that upon your death you were launched into the sun, burning for eternity...? She hadn't been totally listening when Lostsun had been telling her the basics, if she was honest.

She wasn't free from lengthy explanations, either. Lostsun had given her a teacher, or a "mentor" as they were called in this Clan. Why did joining a regular group of cats have to come with all this new vocab? It wasn't enough that a Clan cat's name seemed to change every other day, but there were ranks and seasons and expressions like mousebrained and it was all so much tedium to get through it all. Still, it was the job of her mentor to try to explain it all to her.

Nettlepaw rolled her eyes to the roof of the Apprentices Den. That was another thing - everyone had to nest together, based on their ranks. Kittens and queens - mothers, but never fathers - got to stay in the Nursery. Medicine Cats had their own den as did Leaders, but everyone else had to bunch together. It was humiliating, to be put with the other apprentices, cats so much younger than Nettlepaw was, but they were all on the same level of warrior experience. Experience... experience she would have to gain, even though Lostsun had seen fit to give her the grouchiest mentor, it seemed, in the entire Clan. Someone who matched Nettlepaw in attitude, certainly. Nettlepaw wondered not for the first time since the start of her apprenticeship, if Lostsun's goal was to get rid of two troublesome cats with one blow, by having Treebark and Nettlepaw claw each other to death.

It won't do me any good to prolong my training today. If I spend much longer in the den, she very well may come and drag me out of it. Nettlepaw thought with a shudder, getting to her paws. She padded out of the Apprentices Den and cast her gaze around, squinting in dim lighting. Now, where was her mentor?
@DragonGirl1031 @Blinded By Silence

Last edited:

Blinded By Silence

Grizzled Veteran
D
Watch had been awake for a while now. He'd always been an early riser, but as his fur had gone from grey to silver, he found himself less able to bed down for the entire night. More often than not, the silver tom would rise from the nest he shared with Petalfrost to walk the moonlit forest. Today, he sat on the gnarled root of Warbler's Call, resting after one such walk with his eyes closed and face lifted, enjoying the early morning breeze.

It was nice, Watch thought, this new life he had found. To think that only a few years prior he had been wandering the river, lost in this strange place so far from his ocean home. Now he had a purpose once more, a mate and children, a job to do. Particularly ones that didn't mind his wanderings. Watch flexed his claws, accompanying his stretch with a wide yawn. He would be leaving again soon, yes. His paws were starting to itch for another adventure. But today, a patrol would have to suffice.

His ear flicked and those sunset eyes of his followed the sound. "Good morning, Nettlepaw," The older tom purred in greeting, his voice a rumble of water over stone, "Settling in well?"

@belloblossom @DragonGirl1031

DragonGirl1031

Resident
D

She wasn't sure how she'd been so lucky to be saddled with this particular apprentice. Perhaps it was LostSun's way of getting back at her for something? Maybe she'd leave a nasty mouse present in his den as payback. Treebark smiled to herself as she gave a long stretch. It was another day of trying to beat the clan's ways into her unwilling apprentice. The she-cat gave a soft sigh and heaved herself to her paws.

A quick grooming and she was ready. Surprisingly her apprentice was already waiting for her; along with another member of the clan. "Nettlepaw, Watch. Good morning to you both. Are you ready to go?" She'd have to show Nettlepaw the edges of the territory they claimed, and warn her about what to watch out for. It'd be nice to have an older set of paws along to help out.

@belloblossom @Blinded By Silence

Last edited:

belloblossom

Stew Aficionado
D
Nettlepaw was surprised at the accompanying voice of another LostClan cat. She turned her head to see a silver-furred tomcat with thick fur around his muzzle and neck. It must be a hassle to try and groom himself, she thought as he approached and asked her about whether she was settling in well or not. She scoffed.

"Hardly." She replied. "Everyone's so odd here. There's so much to learn about the customs or culture here and it's all so much effort just to bring myself out from my nest." She sighed and rolled her eyes to the branches above, the trees looking all and imposing from the ground view. "But if I don't get out of my nest, Treebark will have my hide. She isn't that much older than me - and she wasn't even born into this, so I don't know why she has to act like she's better than me just because she's my mentor." She was explaining exasperatedly to the tomcat across from her. "I'm not going to let her push me around - I don't let any cat push me around." She said defiantly, sticking up her chin at the very idea of it. Nettlepaw had had more than enough of other cats bossing her around.

After a moment of thought and reflection, however, hesitation crept into her expression and she crept closer to the older tomcat, lowering her mew in hopes that her question wouldn't be overheard by every cat in LostClan. "Though... I don't know how things work with mentors and apprentices, either." She looked to the tomcat, who seemed old enough that he may know more about the Clan workings than she. "Are mentors allowed to punish their apprentices? We're called warriors when we grow out of apprentices, so are mentors allowed to get vio-" Her question was cut off by the arrival of her mentor.

"Speak of the monster..." She muttered under her breath and then turned to face Treebark, her shoulders bristling defensively. "Ready to go where? You haven't told me anything about where we're going or what we're doing? I haven't eaten yet. Can't we wait until I've eaten at least?" She asked her mentor, trying to keep the frustration from her voice.
@DragonGirl1031 @Blinded By Silence

Blinded By Silence

Grizzled Veteran
D
"Mm, well. Isn't everyone odd everywhere?" He chuckled to the once-housecat, "But that's the fun of it. Learning how other cats live their lives, the in's and out's, the why's and how's. It gives you perspective. All cats could use a bit of that, regardless of where they are born and raised." The old tom stood to his full height now and shook out his long fur as he let his new clanmate gripe. Ah, growing pains never changed, regardless of one's age. He could sit and explain to this she-cat that apprenticeship was not about seniority and that warriors did not always mean battle-ready, but, it was not his place. His bright red-sun eyes watched just over Nettlepaw's shoulder at her approaching mentor. The old cat cleared his throat as she moved within earshot to save the grumbling apprentice from embarrassing herself.

"Well met, Treebark, good morning," He called his voice loud enough to cover Nettle's mumbling, "I am ready, yes. Thank you for allowing me to shadow you on patrol this morning, I hope I'm not interrupting Nettlepaw's training?"

@DragonGirl1031 @belloblossom

DragonGirl1031

Resident
D
She gave a stern look to her apprentice. Teebark could have sworn she told Nettlepaw exactly what they'd be doing this morning. She had, hadn't she? Well she'd give Nettlepaw the benefit of the doubt for this one. "We are doing a patrol this morning. Meaning we are refreshing our clan's boarders and making sure nothing dangerous has crossed them."

The she-cat gave a nod of her head when her apprenticed asked to eat first. "You may for this. Keep in mind if we were charged with a hunting patrol we wouldn't be allowed to eat until the rest of the clan had been fed first." The tone in her voice brooking no argument that this was the law and it would be followed. "Go grab something from the pile, one piece for each of us." She turned to look at Watch, "unless you've already eaten?"

Treebark smiled. "You are always welcome Watch. Of course not. She needs to learn to work with others as well."

@belloblossom @Blinded By Silence

Last edited:

Blinded By Silence

Grizzled Veteran
D
"No, no. Not yet. I usually wait until Petalfrost has woken, eat with her and the children." His long tail swishes behind him, "But they'll all be well into their day once we've returned, so, I'll join you, yes." To Nettlepaw, he adds, "Mouse, if there is any. It's my favorite. Well, rat, but we don't find many of those around here. Thank you."

He settles down again, ready to break his fast for the day, "I think that may have been the hardest thing for me when I was learning the ways of the Warrior. Back on the Sea Dragon, it was every cat for themselves. We ate when we could, there was always much work to be done."

@belloblossom @DragonGirl1031