Discussions:

Latest posts

Group events

Pokémon Expeditions

[Research] Group Assignment [Farren, Nero, Aerika, Pip]

Frostnight910

Station Visitor
D
The storm was one thing, but locking everyone in the city was more than Nero could handle. After nearly pacing a trench in his dorm room he struck out to wander about the town. He tries to find some higher vantage point to give himself a view of as much of the outside as he can. Where is the lightning striking? Why is this storm so... odd? It feels like his hair is standing almost on end, and Halcyon is somehow almost looking floofier than they did yesterday. Even these details he struggled to focus on, because with each flash of lightning or rumble of thunder the ranger in him was worried for all the wild pokemon that may be in danger. Who knows if the winds felled a tree with a nest in its branches, or a lightning strike might dislodge a boulder and send it tumbling. He kicks at the dirt, for all the good it may be worth, grumbling to himself. "I should be out there, I'm wasted waiting in "safety" like a civilian." His pacing resumes, though now in full view. A mind this restless can't seem to piece anything together.

Blinded By Silence

Grizzled Veteran
D
Farren was feeling a lot better after his game of hide and seek with the Chimecho. A little uneasy still, partly from the storm but also for leaving the cute little guy alone in the alley where he'd found him and partly because he could still hear the little guy's chime following him through the streets. Would he get in trouble if someone's Pokemon followed him home? How was he to know if it was owned or not? Hm...

He was pulled from his thoughts when he saw movement ahead. He squinted in the gloom until it dawned on him. Farren waved an arm in greeting as he approached, a friendly grin on his face.

"How's it going? You're from the boat, yeah?" The tall Alolan said as he walked up to Nero, raising an eyebrow in concern "You don't look too hot, friend. All good?"

@Frostnight910

Andraia

Veteran
D
Pip was no stranger to storms. Their degree had involved co-op experience, after all, and the kind of storms you could get on the water… well, the point was, Pip was no stranger to storms.

They could see the strength of the waves hitting the shore from their dorm, and they expected they might get called down to provide lifeguarding services, so they thought they should stock up on groceries before everything shut down. That was how they found themselves wandering through the streets, a couple of reusable bags full of rapidly soaking groceries hanging from their arm, moving uphill instead of down towards their apartment. Something about the storm felt wrong and they had been paying more attention to it than where they were going.

”You don’t look too hot, friend. All good?”

The voice snapped Pip out of their distraction and for a moment they were confused and a bit hurt.“Uh I-” they started, turning to face the speaker, only to realize, belatedly, that the speaker hadn’t been talking to them, and that they had wandered right up to some other storm-watchers without evening noticing.

They stood there for an awkward moment, then cleared their throat. “Er… sorry to interrupt.” They said sheepishly.

(WC: 205)

Last edited:

Frostnight910

Station Visitor
D
Nero stopped his pacing, looking up at the new pair. "Hm? Oh, I'm alright. Just... restless. Back home a storm like this meant more work. We would be out in the storm, if not actively helping pokemon and people at least making sure we were ready." He looks out again toward the wilderness, "Not to mention it just feels... odd... like when a styler is powered up by an electric move, and it makes the hair across you body stand on end when you use it." He shrugs, looking back at the pair and finally recognizing Farren, "Oh, right, you mentioned the boat! You were on with me, I didn't think you were staying, I assumed you were crew. I figured you all see so many faces it wouldn't make a difference with one more." He extends a hand to Farren, "Nero Hohenheim, Ranger of Almia."

After Farren either accepts or declines the handshake Nero would nod to the unfamiliar person behind him. "Not really interrupting I think. We were just saying hello. Quite the night for some last minute shopping, and if not for the barrier I might even call it reckless. What's your name? And what do the two of you make of this storm?" He turns back to look up at the clouds. "I wonder... could a pokemon be causing this? Maybe a few? I've seen some of my counterparts back home use a mass rain dance from multiple pokemon to help douse a large forest fire, but that didn't bring lightning and such with it typically." He's practically rambling at this point, obviously eager to have some semblance of work now and has taken that out on attempting to dissect this storm.

Blinded By Silence

Grizzled Veteran
D
Farren chuckled and grip the kid's hand firmly, and slap a hand on Nero's shoulder, "It's my pop's boat, and you're right, I am crew. Or was. Who could turn down an adventure like this? Farren, Farren Marco, good to meet you!" His bright blue eyes looked up over his glasses into the sky, reflecting the light as another strange bolt of lightning shattered the sky above, "'Though, I wish it were under better circumstances. I get what you mean, storms usually mean a tougher time for my people, too. Dangerous times." He frowned at the sky before coming back to earth and the conversation before him.

He turned to the newcomer, and gave them a wave, gesturing them to join in, "Alola, friend, no need to worry. We were just talking about the storm, is why." He'd stop again to frown up at the blackened sky, "Don't know about you, but I've never seen a storm like this. It's wild, isn't it?" To Nero's Pokemon theory, he gave the Almian a look, "If it is a Pokemon, it's good we're safe in here. It would have to be something awfully powerful to cause this. What do you think?" He'd nod his chin to the sheepish one, inviting them to share their opinion.

@Frostnight910 @Andraia

Wargazm Monkey

Station Visitor
D
Aerika had only been in the city of Doveport for a few days, and already they were closed and halting any outside travel! What was the point of being so close to innumerable adventures when you're locked inside all day? and for what? a little rain? Aerika heard the warning, and instead of seeing it as rule, saw it as a challenge. She scooped up her new accomplice and ran through her door.

Rushing out onto the street, she lowered her adorably pink bulbasaur and, after a few play jumps, she takes off down the street, Silverleaf hot on her heels. After a few blocks she slows down to a stop and begins examining the barrier above her. Surprised, and without being able to help herself, she lets out a loud yelp as she tumbles to the floor. Silverleaf stands on top of her triumphantly and lets out a victorious "BULBASAUR!"

They both lay there laughing as the air is rent apart by another thunder crack.

Andraia

Veteran
D
Pip glanced down at their bags, a bit sheepish at being called out. "I didn't want to have to worry about food if they wanted me at the beach or something..." they explained, realized that the explanation made no sense, and then flushed a bit.

They glanced up at the sky past the barrier again as the other two continued the discussion. "We got pretty wild storms on the ocean, sometimes, but this seems really... extreme, for land. Even at the coast. I thought maybe it was hurricane but..." Pip shrugs and lets the sentence trail off. It didn't feel like hurricane. Maybe it was just the barrier and being in a new region that made the situation feel weird.

The idea of a Pokemon being the cause of the weather was... significantly more disturbing, honestly. Before they could comment on the thought though, they heard someone else arriving. At least the new comer seemed like she wasn't letting the storm stop her from having a good time. Pip gave her a little wave.

(WC: 174; 379)

Last edited:

Wargazm Monkey

Station Visitor
D
Aerika clambered to her feet, hugging her Bulbasaur to her chest as she did. That's when she noticed the other three people about halfway down the block, one of whom was waving at her. She raised a hand in greeting, "Hey guys! Silverleaf, don't be rude say hi back too. Like this." She grabs one of the front paws of her companion and wiggles it in the air in a mock wave.

"Bulba bulba!" exclaims Silverleaf as she continues to wave her paw. Looking visibly pleased with herself, Silverleaf wriggles in an attempt to break free from the clutches of Aerika as they approach the small group. "Fine, but dont go too far!" Aerika commands as she lets the pink Bulbasaur down. "What're you guys doing out?"

Blinded By Silence

Grizzled Veteran
D
Farren raised a large hand in greeting, "Welcome! Not much, just watching the storm roll in. Weird isn't it?" He once more looks to the sky, "Spent my whole life on the ocean and never seen nothing like this. Trying to decide if it's a really cranky Pokemon or some strange hurricane." The storm was unnerving, but Farren was excited to have new people to chat with.

"Now I know the kid said he's from Almia, and I'm from Alola. Where you two from?"

@Wargazm Monkey @Frostnight910 @Andraia

Andraia

Veteran
D
Pip shifted their bags to their other arm, more for something to fidget with than out of any discomfort. Remembering themselves, Pip put on a more cordial smile. "Kalos." They answered. "I'm Pip, by the way."

They eyed the little bulbasaur as it squirmed away from it's handler. Little Guy and the Chingling were tucked away in their pokeballs attached to the belt they had added to their regular ensemble for that purpose. Given that both pokemon were still relatively new to them they didn't want to worry about dealing with panic responses to the noise and ferocity of the storm while they were juggling groceries in an uncontrolled environment.

The Bulbasaur didn't seem to put out though. Hopefully Little Guy would be similarly easy going.

The Chingling would probably try and fight the storm...

Speaking of. "Are any of you guys with the Research Center?" The Research Center had to be looking into this right? Pip could think of a couple of friends of theirs from school who would die to be out in that storm with some monitoring equipment. Weird was just another word for interesting, after all.

(WC: 190; 569)

Last edited:

Wargazm Monkey

Station Visitor
D
"I'm from Unova. And no, I'm not with the research center. I was actually just trying to see if there was a way out of the city... There's gotta be something fun to do, right!? What're yall up to?" Aerika explained as she looked around at the barrier that surrounded them.

Blinded By Silence

Grizzled Veteran
D
"Okay, a city girl, I see. You have a name, Unova?" He'd ask with a grin, "For fun? Lot's to do when we aren't caged in like this. I just finished playing with one of the stray Pokemon a bit ago."

He turned to Pip, "Nice to meet you, friend. I volunteer with the VCA, doing some Pokemon research. I'm mostly here for my own research, though." He replied, patting the leather-bound journal in his pocket.

"Wait, wait, what now? A mass rain dance? That's wild, kid! I bet you have some pretty great stories, I'll have to bug you some time to hear them." He chuckled, but his smile quickly faded as another rumble of thunder rolled across the turbulent sky above, "Maybe it's not one pokemon but a bunch of them? Can't a gathering of Pikachu cause thunderstorms?"

@Wargazm Monkey @Frostnight910 @Andraia

Frostnight910

Station Visitor
D
Nero waves at the new girl, and nods to Pip, "Nice to meet you, Pip." He looks over at the Unovan, "Cities are far too noisy for me, I typically actively avoid them outside of work. Not that Almia really has many cities to begin with. As for fun... I wanted to go explore around outside the city, but was taking the time to get to know my pokemon first. What sort of things did you do for fun back home? Odds are we're more likely to accomplish that than anything in nature for awhile." He pats the dark blue torchic, "But I guess we took too long..." He chuckles, "I'm volunteering with the United Researchers Association. Just because people found this place doesn't mean they're entitled to carelessly ruin the environment. Heck, that could have something to do with the storm too. The wild pokemon in the area might be trying to respond to the human presence here upending the status quo. I have heard about groups of Pikachu being troublesome, but haven't actually witnessed the results myself."

Andraia

Veteran
D
From their current vantage point, the group had a relatively clear view of the city. Which was... well, it wasn't exactly what Pip would consider a bustling metropolis. Certainly it was expanding, but... they all referred to it as the city, but that was more about it being the only urbanized area on the island right, more than a statement about it's size? Wasn't there population requirements to be technically labeled a city? Although they supposed that probably varied based on who you-

Pip caught their wandering thoughts and tuned back into the conversation happening around them.

"It is probably a good idea to establish a bond and some basic level of obedience before taking your pokemon to an open environment." Pip said, in support of Nero's statement. He was moving along in the conversation so fast though, they were having a bit of trouble keeping up. They nodded along in agreement with his statements about the
environment.

"I was grocery shopping."
Pip finally said in response to the Unovan's question, although that was probably fairly obvious from the bags full of food they were hauling. "I only got here a few days ago, so I don't really know what to do either." They pause, considering. "Except go to the beach." Another pause. "I'm a life guard." They clarify, then, in a rush, add: "Don't go there now though."

That might have seemed a bit hypocritical, given that they were currently dressed in beachwear themselves, including swim trunks in place of standard shorts. They weren't planning on going to the beach though. That was just... all they packed.

They really probably should have put a bit more thought into their move.

(WC: 281; 850)

Last edited:

Wargazm Monkey

Station Visitor
D
"Well, I usually go to the mall or the skate park and board around." She says in response to Nero. "I'm waiting on my friend Spectre to get off the boat... apparently they quarantine the mons from off-island. But! luckily they gave me this... dammit Silverleaf, get out of the trash! C'mere girl." She lifts the bulbasaur into her arms, much to Silverleaf's distress. "Anywhatzzles, My name's Aerika, and I got here like two days ago too. I haven't been down to the beach yet, in fact, I've never been to a beach. Are they like pools but bigger? We should go swimming! That'd be fun right! I don't have a swim suit, but they're just fancy underwear anyways so we can just strip down a bit! C'mon!!" She starts to walk off in a direction that she assumes is the way to the beach.